Most tournament wins 1996-2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most tournament wins 1996-2010

somewhere down the list of threads, Eric Malmston asked for a list of tournament winners - so here it is :-)

Although the results might not be what he (or I) expected.

http://victoriachess.com/cfc/winners.php

The all time winner is David McTavish with 103 tournament victories followed closely by Micah Hughey at 100. No one else is even close....

[edit: correct url]
    Last edited by Roger Patterson; Tuesday, 28th December, 2010, 01:38 AM.

Re: Most tournament wins 1996-2010

The link doesn't work, can you fix it. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
        done .....

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
          somewhere down the list of threads, Eric Malmston asked for a list of tournament winners - so here it is :-)

The all time winner is David McTavish with 103 tournament victories followed closely by Micah Hughey at 100. No one else is even close....

Thanks, very interesting.

As it includes all sections, not just Open/top, there will be class players with several wins.

Maybe there should be a CFC hall of fame for players who have won 50 events.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
            Thanks, very interesting.

As it includes all sections, not just Open/top, there will be class players with several wins.

Maybe there should be a CFC hall of fame for players who have won 50 events.
            The CFC rating database does not distinguish sections of the the same tournament. For the most part, they are entered as if they were separate tournaments. There is no reliable way to automatically separate them out.

There are also a few tournaments (e.g. the Ontario Open that I won and a well known Kapaskasing tournament) in which the crosstables for all sections were combined into one - hence, the winners found by looking at the most points are not the winners at all.

Comment

A very interesting database. Its nice to see that the 2-4 positions are occupied by Albertans!

I wonder if its possible to eliminate the matches because they really inflate the stats for some players (I think). Also, the results of some tournaments like: team events, knockouts, etc... are not necessarily accurate in terms of who won first.

Comment

Roger:

Thank you for doing all of this work. Your web site is interesting and appreciated, and might very well influence positive change.

I just thought somebody should say it!

-Morgon

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post

I wonder if this list of CFC tournament winners can be modified to only include a performance rating over 2199. The resulting list of master-strength performances could be considered "Master Points," similar to Bridge. I think this would be a useful table to publish in the CFC online magazine. Of course, it's not as strong as average opponent rating ober 2199, but that figure is not available in the tournament crosstabless.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
                    I wonder if this list of CFC tournament winners can be modified to only include a performance rating over 2199. The resulting list of master-strength performances could be considered "Master Points," similar to Bridge. I think this would be a useful table to publish in the CFC online magazine. Of course, it's not as strong as average opponent rating ober 2199, but that figure is not available in the tournament crosstabless.
                    It's certainly possible (and so is the requirement that the average rating be over XXXX) as is removing private matches. There are also a lot of quad round robins (although minimum perf and or average rating would eliminate most of these anyway).

So far, I am not planning to make those changes, mostly because it is unclear to me what would be the most interesting choice for people. Another is that I have only the data up to Sept. 2010 and really you would want this to be on the live database. Also, a primary objective for me in putting these kinds of pages up is to demonstrate to people what kind of things you could have from the CFC database if you really wanted them more than producing the final product myself. So, my advice would be to think about what database display pages you would like and start agitating for them with the CFC once the new website is up and running although I think it would depend on the availability of pro bono efforts by members to actually implement them.

For those of you interested in the level of effort (aka 'cost') involved, I timed the programming at 3 hours (with a tea break :-) ) which is more or less typical for most of the data display pages I have put up.

Comment

Working...
                    X