Habitable planets!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Habitable planets!

Who has heard of the planet Gliese 581g?

I was browsing thru youtube and discovered clips about the planet Gliese 581g that maybe able to sustain life from Earth. A new planet for us to inhabit once we destroy this one. :o

I listened to numerous clips wondering whether or not this was real, or just an elaborate internet hoax? You tell me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6_Ho...eature=related

Re: Habitable planets!

I have read articles about this and as far as I can tell it is not a hoax.

The problem is of course the distance to get to other habitable planets, which with our current technology is impossible to achieve.

And before anyone says this is not chess-related, maybe one day future humans will be playing chess on these different planets(that is of course if we don't destroy ourselves).
    University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Cormier View Post
      I have read articles about this and as far as I can tell it is not a hoax.
      Well, but there is as yet insufficient evidence to show that it could support inhabitants from Earth. It may have liquid water but it's actual existance is as yet unconfirmed by any independant research team.

Actual existance would seem to be a prerequisite for colonization.

Also the original and unconfirmed observations suggest it is about three or four times as massive as Earth and if you have a weight problem here you might find it a lot worse there. And of course there is as yet no evidence whatsoever of free oxygen in it's atmosphere.

About all we can say is that it appears to be in a location where liquid water could, in theory, exist on it's surface if it's existance and the proposed paramaters can be confirmed which, as yet, they have not been.

So all in all I think it a bit early to start planning the expedition, especially given that the very minimum travel time would be more than twenty years one way.

Comment

I would imagine when the Thirty Meter Telescope is completed more planets will be discovered and more information will become available on those which are already known.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Robert,

This story is even more amazing!!!

NASA-funded astrobiology research has changed the fundamental knowledge about what comprises all known life on Earth.

Researchers conducting tests in the harsh environment of Mono Lake in California have discovered the first known microorganism on Earth able to thrive and reproduce using the toxic chemical arsenic. The microorganism substitutes arsenic for phosphorus in its cell components.

"The definition of life has just expanded," said Ed Weiler, NASA's associate administrator for the Science Mission Directorate at the agency's Headquarters in Washington. "As we pursue our efforts to seek signs of life in the solar system, we have to think more broadly, more diversely and consider life as we do not know it."

This finding of an alternative biochemistry makeup will alter biology textbooks and expand the scope of the search for life beyond Earth. The research is published in this week's edition of Science Express.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/universe/..._chemical.html
          A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
            Who has heard of the planet Gliese 581g?

I was browsing thru youtube and discovered clips about the planet Gliese 581g that maybe able to sustain life from Earth. A new planet for us to inhabit once we destroy this one. :o

I listened to numerous clips wondering whether or not this was real, or just an elaborate internet hoax? You tell me!
            Nice to see that the CFC presidency keeps you busy. For more information on planets and extra-terrestrial life you may contact the FIDE president who in this matter is way beyond looking at clips on the internet. However links such as this one may be more useful: http://www.ehow.com/how_5756587_sponsorship.html
            Last edited by Jean Hébert; Thursday, 6th January, 2011, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
              Nice to see that the CFC presidency keeps you busy. For more information on planets and extra-terrestrial life you may contact the FIDE president who in this matter is way beyond looking at clips on the internet. However links such as this one may be more useful: http://www.ehow.com/how_5756587_sponsorship.html
              Thanks for that link Jean. Of course you were directing me to the article about How to find sponsors, but my eye caught an article further down the page which is as equally relevant for the chess community. The article is entitled "How to mediate a family argument."

I think our Canadian Chess Family should read it:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2145969_medi...-argument.html

I hope you're not suggesting that the CFC Presidency should consume my time completely. :(
              It is completely understandable if a CFC President begins to search for intelligent life on other planets!
              Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Thursday, 6th January, 2011, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                Thanks for that link Jean. Of course you were directing me to the article about How to find sponsors, but my eye caught an article further down the page which is as equally relevant for the chess community. The article is entitled "How to mediate a family argument."

I think our Canadian Chess Family should read it:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2145969_medi...-argument.html

I hope you're not suggesting that the CFC Presidency should consume my time completely. :(
                It is completely understandable if a CFC President begins to search for intelligent life on other planets!
                I think the last part - "on other planets!" should be omitted.
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                  I think the last part - "on other planets!" should be omitted.
                  touche! :D:D:D

Comment

I have heard of Gliese 581g too. If they don't already have a chess club, I hope to start one someday. :)

Comment

Working...
                    X