Who should pay entry fee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who should pay entry fee?

When I was running blitz tournaments in Montreal (up to 5-6 years ago), I charged everyone (GM's, IM's, beginners, women, seniors, etc.) the same ($5). I added on late fees of $2 (which I kept), and the rest went into the prize fund (sometimes the house got a small cut). No one complained that they weren't getting in for free.

Nowadays - almost everyone plays blitz on the Internet, so why pay to enter a blitz tournament? Montreal's Cafe Pi has a blitz one Sunday a month, for which they get in return, extra sales of food, beer, etc. (the other Sundays are taken up my Mah-Jong, and sometimes Go and other games). It doesn't matter how many players they get, since there are already a couple of dozen others (chess players and non-players) in the place. A $5 entry fee pleases the players - they don't care if the strong players stay away due to the lack of a large prize fund.

Comment

The presence or absence of IMs or GMs is not a deal breaker for me as far as participation in a tournament is concerned but their presence is a plus. A dozen 2200+ players with a few 2300+ and 2400+ players sprinkled in is almost a no brainer and I will play if I possibly can. Realistically the cost of playing in a three day weekend tournament (if you ignore my habit of buying chess books and software) is probably about $400 for a three day tournament (and a lot more if you don't ignore my habit). This exceeds my likely winnings by a significant margin.

What can be a deal breaker for me is if I see a Friday night round in a tournament three or four hours away by car and I have no vacation days left and then the presence of a number of 1600 or 1700 players in the top section. The first round is lost to a bye and one of the remaining rounds is likely a game against one of the class B players, or if I'm lucky a class A player. If it is a five round tournament that only gives me three games against tough (for me) competition. Alternatively, I can stay home and just play a few tournament games against the local 2000+ to 2200+ players and get up to four tough games for $10 less a $15 to $20 prize if I win the tournament. Financially, the local tournament makes a lot more sense though the chance to play some different players does keep me going out of town when I can.

Comment

Sunday used to be speed chess day. Some makeup and slow games were played but mostly there were speed games. As I recall, in some of the games money changed hands. :)

The Sunday turnout wasn't as big as the weekday night when the tournament games were played.

I used to play at the local seniors club but liked the penny ante poker better. I should really drop over one day and see if they still have the chess club going.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
          No one complained that ...
          Most people complain silently, most of the time by staying home. The people complaining openly are in comparison a blessing for organizers who then know exactly what the problem is.

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
          A $5 entry fee pleases the players - they don't care if the strong players stay away due to the lack of a large prize fund.
          How many such "satisfied" customers was there at the last blitz ? Six I believe. Such figure does not make me buy the line "people are happy as it is".

Comment

There is no publicity for the Montreal Sunday blitzes outside the Cafe and on Chesstalk. Of course - if I were running the event (now it runs by itself - they players settle their own disputes) and wanted more players, I could do it (but I am no longer doing that task). And if the entry fees were raised to (let's say) $20, none of the regulars would play without proper organization and TD'ing.

Yes - there were six "satisfied customers" at the last blitz (the day after New Year's, by the way).

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
              The people complaining openly are in comparison a blessing for organizers who then know exactly what the problem is.
              Recently many organizers are being blessed.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
              X