Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parenting-(no Direct Chess Content)

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...528698754.html

The piano part of this story of getting a young girl to excel in piano made me rather sick...(could be chess related with a bit of imagination).

I've seen some over-zealous chess parenting in my time which made me rather uneasy....over here(Hungary) parents seem pretty easy going. Armin Juhasz(2016), younger brother of Kristof-2285-ish) used to drop by the kids chess club I had in Vancouver. Now he too has passed me on the rating list so I am quite proud of him. Both have some talent and sadly I don't...this years project is to pass on some of my extra unwanted books to them to aid them on their way up.

Kristof has scored his first IM norm last year so a belated "Well done".

Michael Yip

Re: Parenting-(no Direct Chess Content)

As for the piano part... it's the difference between a serious endeavour and a hobby. As my piano teacher says, "If you want to play the piano, you have to play the piano."

Once you get to a certain level, that means hours each day, no matter what your age happens to be. As a teenager I took my Grade 8 RCM exam, and I was practicing around 4 hours a day for that. For those who aren't familiar with it, Grade 8 RCM for piano would be the chess equivalent of a 2000 rating - you can play at a high level but can't begin to compare with world-class players just yet.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

article has GOTS to be some fine trolling
      everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post

Once you get to a certain level, that means hours each day, no matter what your age happens to be. As a teenager I took my Grade 8 RCM exam, and I was practicing around 4 hours a day for that.
        One of my kids was pretty smart about practicing. Years later we were told one session was taped then when we thought we were hearing practice it was the tape. New lesson, new tape.

If you really like music, the idea seems to be to learn a few instruments. Then get a teaching certificate and teach music in the school system. The pay is OK and you have time for bands, orchestras or whatever.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

GR 8 RCM is about 1500. I personally finished Gr. 9 which is about 1600.
          i rep back 3+

Comment

Working...
          X