Chess Teaching Positions Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess Teaching Positions Available

Philip Math Chess Academy is looking for qualified, dedicated and enthusiastic chess teachers for our beginner, intermediate and advanced classes. 1700+ CFC rating preferred, previous teaching experience is an asset. For detailed information, check www.philipmathchess.com/en or contact

Philip Peng
    Philip Math Chess Academy
    Philipmathchess @yahoo.ca

Re: Chess Teaching Positions Available

Just curious, other than the FIDE Trainer qualifications, what sort of "qualified" could one be?
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Hi Chris,

We used the word "qualified" in the generic sense. Here it means "having the qualities, accomplishments, etc., that fit a person for some function" (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/qualified).

Comment

Qualified-how about COMMUNICATION of information to students. And how about CONTROL- in controlling the class from utter chaos.In 13 years teaching professionally at Chess & Math Toronto i see these 2 traits lacking BIG time.... JJ Henry,Senior Instructor Chess & Math Association....

Comment

Originally posted by John Henry View Post
          Qualified-how about COMMUNICATION of information to students. And how about CONTROL- in controlling the class from utter chaos.In 13 years teaching professionally at Chess & Math Toronto i see these 2 traits lacking BIG time.... JJ Henry,Senior Instructor Chess & Math Association....
          Can you elaborate just where you see these traits missing?
          It does not seem clear from your post...
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Seems pretty straight forward to me -look for Communication skills and a Teacher who can Control a class besides of course their skill/knowledge of the game. The first two are missing a lot....

Comment

There is an interesting paragraph from the The Chess Instructor 2009 book:

"In 1993 Mike Basman started teaching other people to teach chess. How did he recruit those people, did he put an ad in the papers? 'Ads didn't work. I sort of bumped into them. I began to look for people who were friendly and who were able to related to other people. One of them was a lady who was serving customers in a grocery store. She was always very kindly talking to everybody, so I thought: that's a good chess teacher. She couldn't play, so I taught her. Now she still teaches chess for me and her classes are very popular. ... I didn't care whether they were good at chess, I wanted them to have the right personality."

BTW, reading the chapter "Mike Basman: The Chess Teacher Who Puts 70,000 Kids to Play, Every Year", you would make parallels with guess who :D

Comment

Good point made. A friendly personality is a must for success.A Coach/Teacher in chess or any number of sporting activities must have respect,skills,good communication techniques and certainly control over his students/athletes to ensure success.At these under 1500 chess levels these are paramount perhaps more important than a Master/GM teaching these levels.

Comment

Originally posted by John Henry View Post
                  Seems pretty straight forward to me -look for Communication skills and a Teacher who can Control a class besides of course their skill/knowledge of the game. The first two are missing a lot....
                  I see now... I had understood your post to mean you found those traits lacking at either C&M or the Philip Math Chess Academy (neither scenario made much sense to me, therefore my question). I see now you meant that you often see those 2 traits missing in *candidates* you have encountered over the years...
                  ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                    There is an interesting paragraph from the The Chess Instructor 2009 book:

"In 1993 Mike Basman started teaching other people to teach chess. How did he recruit those people, did he put an ad in the papers? 'Ads didn't work. I sort of bumped into them. I began to look for people who were friendly and who were able to related to other people. One of them was a lady who was serving customers in a grocery store. She was always very kindly talking to everybody, so I thought: that's a good chess teacher. She couldn't play, so I taught her. Now she still teaches chess for me and her classes are very popular. ... I didn't care whether they were good at chess, I wanted them to have the right personality."
                    Here is another quote from that book that is even more important.
                    "If you want chess to become mainstream both as a game and as a subject to teach, it is essential to make your way into a school regular curriculum, or at least its regular hours. Teaching chess as a business with employees who can only have one or two classes after school each day is not the way to go."
                    - Jan van de Mortel

Comment

Working...
                    X