Ottawa Tournaments: IMPORTANT and ESSENTIAL missing item

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ottawa Tournaments: IMPORTANT and ESSENTIAL missing item

Aris, thank you for a very good tournament – as many others that you organized in the last few years.

Now – to the task at hand!
    It’s been about 14 years I’m playing in these Ottawa week-end tournaments and there is one issue that still needs to be solved – so chess players (and visitors) can fully enjoy the experience of a well spent chess event.

A large map of the world (preferably 20x10 feet or more) should be installed on the wall besides where the pairings and tables are kept. Follow the specs.
    The map should have my home town on it.
    3 sets of pins should be provided – each player could use one (and only one!) to stick it on the map at the place of his birth.
    Why three sets?
    One set of large pins for players above 2000 rating (CFC or FIDE), another of medium pins for those under 2000 and the third - small pins - for visitors (parents, grandparents, spouses, common law spouses, girlfriends, ex-girlfriends, just friends, mistresses , future mistresses, et cetera).
    The board should be installed two hours before the tournament and carefully maintained by the TD alone – who will bear the sole responsibility for a pin being misplaced. The penalty will be 10 rating points (CFC/FIDE) deducted for each pin wrongly positioned.
    Errors up to 1 mm are allowed (on a scale 1:3,000,000)
    The map should be a Mercator projection.
    No Robinson Projection (too roundish!) or Peter Projection (too controversial) should be allowed under any circumstances.
    I am aware that Mercator projection misrepresents Greenland (making it look too fat) – Should complaints arise I am volunteering to deal with all players/visitors from Greenland.

First to place his pin will be GM Sambuev and his pin should be close to Lake Baikal – did you know this is the deepest lake in the world?

At the end of the tournament the TD should remove the map and the pins all by himself and – of course – memorize the positions of the pins for all the players (above and under 2000) – so in the future events, the players won’t need to spend precious time to re-position them. Visitors will have to take care of them selves as they do not pay a registration fee.

Aris – please advise when this will be implemented.
    I remember we had a discussion some seven years ago and besides this issue we discussed a few other problems: the bad roads in the Andes, the continuous violence in Cote D’Ivoire and the coral deterioration in South Pacific. Sadly none of these was fixed since then.
    Comments are welcomed from any tournament organizer in Canada or chess player (world-wide) or any national (ex-national) of Russia, East European countries, Kazakhstan, Middle-East, China, India, Latin America, Australia, New Zealand and Botswana.

Reg: But apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
    Famous Canadian Chess Champion + a Respected Database Keeper: No Carbon Copy Score sheets!
    Reg: Oh god, score sheets, SHUT UP!
Working...
X