Round 9 Tata-Corus: Wesley So suffers first loss vs Li Chao

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round 9 Tata-Corus: Wesley So suffers first loss vs Li Chao

In Grandmaster group B, Wesley SO was defeated by perennial opponent Li Chao of China. A duboius idea in the middle game resulted in the manggling of the kingside pawn shelter of So. Li capitalized on the abck rank weakness of SO to win the point. What was surprising to me was the idea Na7 and Nc6.
    In Group C, Canadian GM Mark Bluvstein is still battling Sachdev in 24 moves. There is material imbalance: MArk has a lovely knight posted on d5 while Sachdev has a bishop poised to attack on the kingside.

Re: Round 9 Tata-Corus: Wesley So suffers first loss vs Li Chao

Originally posted by Erwin Casareno View Post
    In Grandmaster group B, Wesley SO was defeated by perennial opponent Li Chao of China. A duboius idea in the middle game resulted in the manggling of the kingside pawn shelter of So. Li capitalized on the abck rank weakness of SO to win the point. What was surprising to me was the idea Na7 and Nc6.
    In Group C, Canadian GM Mark Bluvstein is still battling Sachdev in 24 moves. There is material imbalance: MArk has a lovely knight posted on d5 while Sachdev has a bishop poised to attack on the kingside.
    Mark did indeed win in Round 9 - I hope he is back on track!

[Ms. Sachdev is a very striking young lady... no idea how Mark could stay focused, but it is a good thing he did because she is also a formidable player who appears to have been very under rated... ]
    Last edited by Kerry Liles; Tuesday, 25th January, 2011, 04:27 PM.
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Working...
    X