Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Elaine Howie Fund for Chess Juniors - top 12

Hello all,

In July 2010, I set up a fund in memory of my aunt, Elaine Howie. Rather than asking for donations, I have collected small amounts from friends/family in place of gifts. These amounts will be used to recognize young Canadians who have displayed commitment and excellence in chess each year.

More information can be found on my blog - http://checkmateupdate.blogspot.com/

I am posting this here to notify you of the twelve finalists for the 2010 fund (no particular order):

Yue Tong (Davy) Zhao
    Luke Pulfer
    Nicole Birarov
    Patrick Angelo Tolentino
    Varshini Paraparan
    Jamil F. Kassam
    Daniel Zotkin
    Derick Aghamalian
    Jeff Zhang
    Razvan Preotu
    Juliaan Posaratnanathan
    Yuekai Wang

If you know any of the juniors above, please inform them of their great achievement. The families of the juniors can also contact me (checkmateupdate@gmail.com) for details on receiving a Top 12 certificate and prize. Furthermore, one of these twelve juniors will be awarded $100, to be decided soon.

Congratulations and keep up the amazing work!

Re: 2010 Elaine Howie Fund for Chess Juniors - top 12

Taken from my blog entry http://checkmateupdate.blogspot.com/...tines-day.html:

"The the big winner of the fund....drum roll...

Razvan Preotu!!!

Congratulations, Razvan will receive $100 on behalf of the Elaine Howie Fund. It was such a tough decision, because all the Top 12 demonstrated unique characteristics of progress and leadership (I'll be posting a summary of accomplishments for all twelve soon). However, Razvan stood out due to his stellar performance in a variety of areas, as well as unmatched consistency - out of the 25 tournaments he participated in, his rating increased in all but three (and one of the three was breakeven). Even more, he achieved remarkable results in eight of his CFC tournaments, the most obvious being the Lasker Series, where he scored 4.5/5 with a performance 650 rating points above his rating at the time!!!"

If anyone knows Razvan's family, please inform them of this accomplishment and ask them to contact me as soon as possible (checkmateupdate@gmail.com).

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

Comment

Wow Hazel, what a great idea.

I just sent an email to Razvan's dad with the good news.

This is the first time I have seen your post, and was about to say something nice about Razvan, when I saw the next post that he won.

Razvan is a terrific kid. Along with his tournament accomplishments he also helps his dad teach other kids at the Burlington Junior Chess Club.

Congratulations. :D

Comment

Thank you Hazel! :)

Elaine Howie Fund is definetly a great idea. All finalists were very strong candidates to win it.

This is a great example of hard work. Hard work really paysoff! :D

Cogradulation Razven!

Comment

Thanks, Hazel. And excellent way of honouring your aunt.

Comment

Thank you all for your support! These juniors deserve a chance to be recognized, and I think my aunt would be proud of them too. Mikhail, you are absolutely right, hard work does pay off.

Comment

Working...
            X