Swiss Sys vs Swiss Perfect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swiss Sys vs Swiss Perfect

Are there any tournament directors out there who have experience with these two pairing programs? I've been using Swiss Sys and it's a great program but it saves tournaments in so many damned files with several different file extensions and they can get lost easily and then you're screwed (akin to a 50-page Word document being saved in 50 files with all of them having 50 different file extensions to boot). So in the end big fail. I'm looking to switch to Swiss Perfect. Any comments on this program?

Re: Swiss Sys vs Swiss Perfect

I think, a Scarborough CC club went from a SP to a SS. Contact Steve Karpik for their experience.

My experience creating tables: a SP is a simple and powerful program for swiss and RR tournaments. A drawback - no way to create a file for the CFC rating report.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Siddeley View Post
      Are there any tournament directors out there who have experience with these two pairing programs? I've been using Swiss Sys and it's a great program but it saves tournaments in so many damned files with several different file extensions and they can get lost easily and then you're screwed (akin to a 50-page Word document being saved in 50 files with all of them having 50 different file extensions to boot). So in the end big fail. I'm looking to switch to Swiss Perfect. Any comments on this program?
      I know what you're saying about the multitude of files with Swiss Sys. There's a few things that I do to keep things from getting screwed up. For instance, I make a new directory for each tournament. So let's say I can't look after the pairings some week, I simply need to zip up the entire directory and give it to someone else in the club to look after. If all my tournaments were in the same directory, it would be a mess to share the data files with others. With a separate directory for each tournament, I haven't had any problems.

In terms of flexibility, I think I prefer Swiss Sys. The logic of the program is a little idiosyncratic. But the same can be said for Swiss Perfect. One thing that is excellent with Swiss Sys is the integration with the CFC ratings database files. It sure is nice not having to manually check CFC membership statuses or ratings when registering new players.

Comment

I have used both programs and I prefer Swiss Sys. I agree with your complaint about its many files. I deal with that issue by giving each tournament its own folder (as I think Steve is suggesting above). I transfer the entire folder when I need to.

I put all that tournament's documents (like its posters and preregistration list) in the same folder so I am indeed often working with over 20 files; but, I find by using clear labels I don't have any troubles.

Swiss Perfect is a good program too and it does the job. However, it isn't as customizable as Swiss Sys is. I rdidn't like Swiss Perfect's printout or screen display as as I found their fonts too small. (Maybe it has a way to change these things and I just never found the setting.)

Note: The version of Swiss Perfect I was using was not the latest one.

Because of my way of working, Ie. sticking all the posters and other documents in the same folder as the tournament files, I wouldn't get much of an advantage by using Swiss Perfect if number of files is the main issue.

So far we've thought about the many files as a disadvantage; but, there is an advantage to having separate files ..namely you can load a previous round and edit it without affecting later rounds.

It's rare you will need to do this..but there are a couple of situations where it happens. For example, I've had tournaments where a decision was made to either split it into different sections later on, or join multiple sections mid event. The multiple files makes this a lot less work.

At the end of the day the main reason I like Swiss Sys over Swiss Perfect is the support it has for CFC. If you use Swiss Perfect you will have to choose between USCF and FIDE.

I would also ask the CFC office if you submit a Swiss Perfect cross table if you would still be eligible for the 3 dollar rating fee. (You might have to pay 5).

Comment

Working...
        X