benoni move order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• benoni move order

is it possible to play the benoni and avoid the taimanov (Bb5+) by delaying ...exd5, cxd5 until you're one move away from castling?

e.g.
    1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.d5 g6 4.Nc3 d6 5.e4 Bg7 6.f4 (let's say) exd5 7.cxd5 O-O?

the worst that can happen is White can play 6.nf3 instead of 6.f4 as i don't think that dxe6 is a big threat?

i also realize that Black can play an early ...a6 to stop the Bb5+ but is there anything fundamentally wrong with this?

Re: benoni move order

Originally posted by Craig Sadler View Post
    is it possible to play the benoni and avoid the taimanov (Bb5+) by delaying ...exd5, cxd5 until you're one move away from castling?

e.g.
    1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.d5 g6 4.Nc3 d6 5.e4 Bg7 6.f4 (let's say) exd5 7.cxd5 O-O?

the worst that can happen is White can play 6.nf3 instead of 6.f4 as i don't think that dxe6 is a big threat?

i also realize that Black can play an early ...a6 to stop the Bb5+ but is there anything fundamentally wrong with this?

I stopped playing the Benoni. My strong opponents were pushing the center pawns and busting my position. In your example, 6. ... exd5 doesn't seem to be possible. Black's e pawn is still at e7 or maybe I need to set it up on a board. :)
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Yes - but that gives White the option of playing e4 and then responding with exd5 when Black eventually plays exd5. This is slightly better for White with Black having far fewer possibilities for active counterplay - in other words, it avoids the Modern Benoni which I assume you're trying to reach.

Comment

Craig,

we have more important issues to deal with than to talk about chess ;)

There is a great forum dedicated to chess openings:
        http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

Hope this may help,

sas

Comment

I think you need to play .....e6 before you play exd5

Comment

Originally posted by David Gordon View Post
            I think you need to play .....e6 before you play exd5
            1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.d5 g6 4.Nc3 e6 5.e4 d6 6.f4 Bg7 7.Nf3

what about something like this then...

last time i try to bring chess to a chesstalk board :p

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post
              Yes - but that gives White the option of playing e4 and then responding with exd5 when Black eventually plays exd5. This is slightly better for White with Black having far fewer possibilities for active counterplay - in other words, it avoids the Modern Benoni which I assume you're trying to reach.
              then i guess it's up to black to decide if White playing exd5 is better for him than cxd5...thanks :)

Comment

Hi Craig

There are at least 3 solutions to your quandry, without resorting to playing a Nimzo-Indian or QGD:

1) Anti-Taimanov method #1:

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.d5 e6 4.Nc3 d6 is a move order trick used by some Modern Benoni players. Now footnote #1 in ECO, 4th ed., A61 goes:

5.e4

(5.Nf3 g6 6.Bg5 h6 7.Bxf6 Qxf6 8.Qa4+ Ke7 9.g3 Bg7 10.Bg2 Rd8 11.0-0 Kf8= Gurgenidze-Mi. Tseitlin, Belgrade 1988)

5...g6 6.Bd3

(6.Nf3 Bg7 7.Be2 0-0 is a line of the KID [ECO code E91] where Black is ultimately fine in ECO E, 5th ed., after either 8.dxe6 Bxe6 etc., or 8.0-0 exd5 [8...Re8 is okay too] 9.exd5 etc. [9.cxd5 is a normal Modern Benoni line])

6...Bg7 7.Nf3 0-0

(7...exd5 is what you'd play, again either a satisfactory KID line [E90] or a normal Modern Benoni depending on how White recaptures)

8.h3 Na6 - E90 (again a satisfactory KID line).

2) Anti-Taimanov method #2 (can be seen as inferior to method #1, since it takes on extra homework unnecessarily):

1.d4 c5 2.d5 Nf6 3.Nf3

(3.c4 transposes to Anti-Taimanov method #1, and 3.Nc3 g6 is a version of the Staunton Defence [1.d4 c5] thought to be acceptable for Black these days)

3...e6 4.c4

(4.dxe6 fxe6 is ultimately equal, and 4.Nc3 can be answered by 4...exd5 [4...b5!?] 5.Nxd5 Nxd5 6.Qxd5 d6 7.Ng5 Qe7 [forced, since Nxh7 is threatened, besides the f7-pawn] 8.Bf4 Be6, which is ultimately = according to the old NCO I used to own)

4...exd5 5.cxd5 reaches a standard Modern Benoni, with the Taimanov avoided.

3) My method: Take the bull by the horns:

I find allowing the Taimanov allows White the chance to over-extend, which may be an especially attractive proposition if White is low (or lower) rated.

After the moves 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.d5 e6 4.Nc3 exd5 5.cxd5 d6 6.e4 g6 7.f4 Bg7 8.Bb5+

(the Taimanov)

8...Nfd7 9.a4

(the critical, so-called Flick-Knife variation, I believe)

9...Qh4+!?

(Black should at least be surviving after 9...a6 or 9...0-0)

10.g3, White's kingside has been softened up, and now my own preference is for 10...Qe7

(rather than 10...Qd8)

and after 11.Nf3

Black can either castle as usual, or if he is feeling brave he can head for a different, defensive sort of struggle with ...Bxc3+ followed by ...Qxe4+, even though most books assume this to be bad.
                Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Thursday, 10th February, 2011, 01:24 PM.
                Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.d5 g6 4.Nc3 e6 5.e4 d6 6.f4 Bg7 7.Nf3

what about something like this then...

last time i try to bring chess to a chesstalk board :p
                  I think Jean was joking, Craig. :)

Note that in my previous post, under Anti-Taimanov method #1, your 6.f4 was not given by ECO in the position reached after your given move order. Also, if 4...Bg7 5.e4 0-0 (rather than 5...d6 intending to meet 6.Nf3 with 6...e6) then 6.Nf3 d6 7.Bf4 is a E90 KID line that's ultimately slightly better for White (since now 7...e6 is considered a dubious sac). [edit: Perhaps this last sentence means that Bf4 by White on move five, after 4...Bg7, may be accurate, despite not being mentioned by ECO]
                  Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Thursday, 10th February, 2011, 04:35 PM.
                  Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                  Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
                    I think Jean was joking, Craig. :)

Note that in my previous post, under Anti-Taimanov method #1, your 6.f4 was not given by ECO in the position reached after your given move order. Also, if 4...Bg7 5.e4 0-0 (rather than 5...d6 intending to meet 6.Nf3 with 6...e6) then 6.Nf3 d6 7.Bf4 is a E90 KID line that's ultimately slightly better for White (since now 7...e6 is considered a dubious sac).
                    Kevin,

excellent posts.

thanks for your understanding of my remarks. Indeed I was joking and laughing at me and all the others who are sometimes too involved talking about chess politics...

sas

Comment

Working...
                    X