X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question re: sale of CFC retail business

The CFC's home page says this:

Sale
    Most books 35% OFF. Most software 25% OFF.
    No backorders.
    While supplies last.
    Free shipping on orders over $100.
    Go to the CFC store.

If the retail business has been sold to a (hopefully arm's-length) third party, then why does this ad continue to appear at the CFC website? There are some plausible explanations. For example: the webmaster hasn't had time to update the page yet, or; the sale hasn't closed yet and the CFC is allowed to continue disposing of inventory up until closing, or; the sale has closed and the buyer is allowed to use CFC facilities (including building and website) to store and sell inventory until some specified future date or event; etc.

Just curious.

p.s. I'm not a governor so there's no need to keep me in the dark.
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Re: Question re: sale of CFC retail business

I presume the executive will make the books and equipment deal information public in there own good time. Let me know if you here, Peter. i'm only a Governor. :)

Comment

I'm sure all will be revealed in the next GL... which will be out soon. After all the deadline was only three weeks ago.

Comment

Hi John:

Maybe the Executive is holding up the GL # 2, while they try to decide what to do with the 3 Grassroots' Campaign CFC Fees motions !!:)

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
          I'm sure all will be revealed in the next GL... which will be out soon. After all the deadline was only three weeks ago.
          Well, as a Governor, I have not received GL#2 yet, so even if I receive it today, it likely wouldn't be posted on the website for a couple of days...
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
            Hi John:

Maybe the Executive is holding up the GL # 2, while they try to decide what to do with the 3 Grassroots' Campaign CFC Fees motions !!:)

Bob
            What is there to decide? Aren't they proper motions? As I recall, they were proposed by a Governor and they had proper seconders, so ... I would expect they will appear as voting items in the GL (unless they missed the cutoff for GL#2)

Comment

Roadblock to 3 Grassroots' Campaign CFC Fees Motions

Hi Kerry:

A member of the Executive has objected to the form of the motions. The motions amend the AGM CFC Fees motion passed in July. It is contended that the motions have to amend the CFC Handbook, not a passed motion.

But it appears the Handbook has not yet been updated by incorporating the passed AGM motion. So how are we supposed to amend the Handbook?

I have asked that the CFC immediately undertake to update the Handbook and give me the updated copy, so I can do as they request , and revise the motions to amend the Handbook. I want it ASAP because I want the motions in GL # 2 if at all possible.

I am still awaiting an answer as to whether anyone in the CFC has been charged to update the relevant section of the Handbook and send it on to me ASAP !

Bob

Comment

Re: Roadblock to 3 Grassroots' Campaign CFC Fees Motions

I am still awaiting an answer as to whether anyone in the CFC has been charged to update the relevant section of the Handbook and send it on to me ASAP !
                Bob
                I dont know anything about that, but the CFC is looking for someone to revise the CFC Handbook - a call has gone out for that. I don't know what the terms of reference might be...

Sounds like a stalling tactic to me (the objection to the motions)...

Comment

Re: Roadblock to 3 Grassroots' Campaign CFC Fees Motions

Hi Kerry:

A member of the Executive has objected to the form of the motions. The motions amend the AGM CFC Fees motion passed in July. It is contended that the motions have to amend the CFC Handbook, not a passed motion.

Bob
                  I would have thought that the motions would be included in the GL and then ruled 'out of order' or some such... I suppose whoever is objecting is perhaps trying to help you out by recommending a better approach, although a cynic might think they are just blowing smoke... When all else fails, resort to procedural wrangling I guess.

[I am not saying I necessarily agree with the motions, rather the right to have them put to the Governors at the very least]

Comment

OR, unless they call in Maurice "I declare those motions out of order" Smith. Have gavel, will travel? :)
                    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                      If the retail business has been sold to a (hopefully arm's-length) third party,
                      There was a motion (and it passed) to wind up the CFC book and equipment business. The sale of remaining stock would be a logical part of that.

There are rumours that CFC has established an agreement with a third party to start a new book and equipment business, or at least the formal connection with the CFC will be new. AFAIK, no governor believes that such a new joint endeavour requires an empowering motion from the Govs.

In another thread, I expressed concern that this third party, if it is a new business, be sufficiently capitalized.

I am also not a governor.

Comment

Thanks for replying, Jonathan. I'm not clear on one thing, though. Motion 2009-03 does use the words "winding up", but hasn't it been mentioned here on a number of occasions that the retail business was sold to a third party? And wouldn't that imply that the existing inventory was also sold?

Comment

Working...
                        X