New Chesstalk Social Group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Chesstalk Social Group

There is now a second chesstalk Social Group, called 'Ottawa & Eastern Ontario', meant primarily for those interested in Ottawa-Gatineau & Eastern Ontario affairs (particularly chess). The first Social Group, 'Toronto/GTA' was created some years ago.

In case users are unaware of these groups, one way to get access to a chesstalk social group is to click on your User CP option and then click on 'Social Groups'.

Other helpful tips about chesstalk features can be found by clicking on the FAQ option.
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Re: New Chesstalk Social Group

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
    There is now a second chesstalk Social Group, called 'Ottawa & Eastern Ontario', meant primarily for those interested in Ottawa-Gatineau & Eastern Ontario affairs (particularly chess). The first Social Group, 'Toronto/GTA' was created some years ago.

In case users are unaware of these groups, one way to get access to a chesstalk social group is to click on your User CP option and then click on 'Social Groups'.

Other helpful tips about chesstalk features can be found by clicking on the FAQ option.
    Hi Kevin, excuse my ignorance, but what benefits/tools would be brought on by joining?

Thanks and regards, Aris.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
      Hi Kevin, excuse my ignorance, but what benefits/tools would be brought on by joining?

Thanks and regards, Aris.
      Hi Aris

First, here's a link to how chesstalk FAQ explains chesstalk Social Groups (among other things):

http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/faq...._social_groups

Actually, I set up a Social Group partly just to try, and partly hoping for success (I was unaware of the 'Toronto/GTA' Group previously formed). In case you haven't looked, at last count the 'Ottawa & Eastern Ontario' Group had 5 members, including myself and Larry Bevand.

The first thing I noticed after I set up a Social Group was that members can submit pictures, which makes for a nice photo gallery (unavailable on the regular chesstalk forums). The second thing was that a Social Group could be made private (I guess I or someone else would have to start another one, urging group members to join that one from the old group).

I thought also that an advantage is that, say in the case of 'Ottawa & Eastern Ontario', group members can in [semi-]secluded fashion concentrate largely/wholly on topics concerning this region, and without feeling that they're boring any uninterested outsiders. Plus every group member might be able to more easily stay informed by having (possibly many?) posts that interest them gathered in one location, which for a long time to come would require less searching than digging up old posts/threads on chesstalk. As well, EOCA or OCA Governors such as yourself can potentially interact with a whole representative group of Eastern Ontario players (or anyone who might attend or organize EOCA events, if they are part of the group, or if they merely are checking the group out [so long as the group is public]).

At the moment, as you would know, there is no picture gallery, message board nor gamescores offered on the EOCA website, and the Ottawa CC message board is semi-dormant. The RACC does offer pictures and games, as well as a (dormant?) message board, but these are particular to the RA club in Ottawa, not the rest of Ottawa-Gatineau or Eastern Ontario.

I am still feeling my way as to any other unique tools that a Social Group has to offer other than a picture gallery and [semi-]seclusion. Indeed, typing in messages seems slightly less easy and less options like icons seem to be available, but there are things I still have not tried out. Perhaps Larry would have more answers to your questions than I would at the moment.
      [edit: I've discovered that when typing in messages inside a Social Group, the option 'Go Advanced' allows for a bigger box to type inside, and more options, including icons such as smilies]
      Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Wednesday, 16th February, 2011, 01:56 AM.

Comment

Bingo! - I've just discovered a way around what appeared to be a serious limitation of Social Group 'tools'.

When within a Social Group, you [edit: if 'you' are a Group member] can click on a Group Picture, and not only will an enlarged version of that picture appear, as well as a full caption etc., but 'Picture Comments' can be posted, as though in a now seperate thread for the group (besides the main group message thread, and other 'Picture Comments' threads). The number of such threads is limited only by the number of Group Pictures. :)
        Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Saturday, 19th February, 2011, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Tonight I joined the Toronto/GTA Social Group, and I discovered something else about chesstalk Social Groups that's interesting. When I go to my User CP and then click on Social Groups, up comes the display of Social Groups in existence etc. (just the two groups so far). I noticed that for the 'Ottawa & Eastern Ontario' group (which I created) it only gives me the 'Option' of 'Edit Group', which when I click on shows all the members of the group, and gives me the choice of deselecting any of them out of the group. I also noticed that for the 'Toronto/GTA' group (which I did not create) it only gives me the 'Option' of 'Leave Group' (presumably meaning I can deselect myself out of the group in question if I wish, though so far I haven't clicked on 'Leave Group' to find out).

I would have thought that the mighty 'Edit Group' option would have been available only to chesstalk moderators [edit: i.e. when it comes to Public Social Groups]. Fortunately for the 'Ottawa & Eastern Ontario' group members, I have at least some regard for my popularity. :)

[edit: Oops, I confused 'Edit Group' with 'Manage Group', though both of these choices are presented to myself only, when it comes to the 'Ottawa & Eastern Ontario' Group, since I was its creator. 'Edit Group' allows me to change the description/title of the Group. 'Manage Group' appears to me as a choice at the bottom when I go into my 'Ott etc. Group - here 'Leave Group' is what appears to other Group members instead.]
          Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Friday, 25th February, 2011, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
            Bingo! - I've just discovered a way around what appeared to be a serious limitation of Social Group 'tools'.

When within a Social Group, you [edit: if 'you' are a Group member] can click on a Group Picture, and not only will an enlarged version of that picture appear, as well as a full caption etc., but 'Picture Comments' can be posted, as though in a now seperate thread for the group (besides the main group message thread, and other 'Picture Comments' threads). The number of such threads is limited only by the number of Group Pictures. :)
            I've also just discovered that some Social Group Picture Comment 'threads' can be viewed by clicking on my contributed pictures that are stored within my Public Profile page, i.e. for those pictures I've given to the 'Ottawa & Eastern Ontario' Group Pictures gallery. These contributed pictures are all (initially, and still) stored in my one and only Album (so far) on my Public Profile page (all of the pictures that are so far in my Album I've contributed to just the Group I mentioned, except for my picture of the Red Ensign, which I have contributed to no Groups). I don't know if these Group Picture Comment 'threads' are also visible to non-Group-member viewers when they view my Album.

[edit: Exploring the uncharted realms of chesstalk is an interesting bit of fun. :)]
            Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Sunday, 20th February, 2011, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X