New Picture(s) & Post(s) on 'Ottawa & Eastern Ontario chesstalk Public Social Group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Picture(s) & Post(s) on 'Ottawa & Eastern Ontario chesstalk Public Social Group

I'm not yet aware of any way to let every chesstalk viewer immediately know of a new picture/message being posted on a chesstalk Public Social Group, i.e. let them avoid having to find out by, e.g., clicking on 'Social Groups' (after clicking on 'User CP'), etc., but perhaps the program written for chesstalk was designed so that Social Groups were intended to have infrequent traffic.

For the time being at least, I can volunteer to post that there are new message(s)/photo(s) for the 'Ottawa & Eastern Ontario' Public Social Group on the main (English) forum as they appear, as soon as I've noticed them, provided they're not coming thick and fast anyway.

Just a couple of minutes ago I posted a picture of Ottawa's Rideau Falls on that Public Social Group, along with posting a Picture Comment for it (just a description of where the Falls are located in the city), in case anyone's interested. They are also viewable by clicking on my 'Album' of pictures that is stored on my Public Profile page (one way to get there is to click on my Avatar [the picture of a cat that comes with all my posts]).
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Re: New Picture(s) & Post(s) on 'Ottawa & Eastern Ontario chesstalk Public Social Gro

Just added one picture each for Morrisburg, Arnprior, Kingston and Gatineau (plus a Picture Message post for each, pertaining to their subjects) to the 'Ottawa and Eastern Ontario' chesstalk Public Social Group. Good night. :)

Comment

Re: New Picture(s) & Post(s) on 'Ottawa & Eastern Ontario chesstalk Public Social Gro

The latest update: there was a post by Adam Murray yesterday, and a reply by me today, in the main 'Ottawa & Eastern Ontario' Social Group Message 'thread'. No new Picture Comments for any pictures otherwise.

Comment

I've been burning the midnight oil again. Just added one picture each for Ottawa, Morrisburg, Arnprior, Kingston and Gatineau (plus a Picture Message post for each, pertaining to their subjects) to the 'Ottawa and Eastern Ontario' chesstalk Public Social Group. Good night. :)

Comment

Have you considered using Facebook for a group like this? I think it's far superior to this forum for sharing photos and publicizing events. Folks can easily comment and have their input seen.

You can make your group as limited or as open as you like.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Sullivan View Post
            Have you considered using Facebook for a group like this? I think it's far superior to this forum for sharing photos and publicizing events. Folks can easily comment and have their input seen.

You can make your group as limited or as open as you like.
            Hi Neil

I thought that, partly as an experiment, I'd try forming a chesstalk Social Group to see what possibilities it would offer. So far the results seem rather disappointing, in terms of useful features that are available to such Groups, at least from what I have learned so far. Perhaps a chesstalk moderator can explain any features I (or other members of the two Groups already existing on chesstalk) seem to be missing, or perhaps the chesstalk software can be modified at some point so that it is more user-friendly to Groups.

I have no desire to launch (or, especially, maintain for the long haul) a similar project on Facebook, partly since lots of Canadian chessplayers are already coming to chesstalk, and partly since I distrust the way Facebook's privacy policies seem to be actually carried out in practice, as is heard on the news from time to time (therefore I don't use Facebook, not that I'd have much use for it myself otherwise).
            Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Monday, 28th February, 2011, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Hi Bevin
              What is the link to this new site .I don't seem to see a place to go.
              Or is it in the words you are using to prevent spam?

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                Hi [K]evin
                It's not a new site. Chesstalk Social Groups are something you reach via the main Chesstalk Forums (the English one in our case).

When you arrive at the English Chesstalk Forum, say on page 1 (showing all the latest 'threads'), you can get to a chesstalk Social Group at least one way by clicking on "User CP". This is displayed almost at the top of your screen (before you would start to do any scrolling down of page 1, or whatever page you're on). "User CP" is on the far left side near the top, before "FAQ", "Members List" etc.

After clicking on "User CP", click on "Social Groups" and you're presented with the choice of which existing Group you want to get into.

Click on "FAQ" sometime if you're interested in learning more about LOTS of chesstalk features.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                  Hi Bevin
                  Try this link: http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/group.php?groupid=3 or a general group link http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/group.php

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                    Thanks Egidijus. I ought to have posted your direct link too, but then people won't always be getting to my Group from this thread.

Know any tips for chesstalk Group features that I might not be aware of? A way to alert every Group member (if not every chesstalk viewer) that there is a new Group Message or Picture Comment (and for which Picture) would sure come in handy. Then I wouldn't have bothered to initiate this thread, nor post updates in it every now and then, after checking my Group Messages and Pictures for comments myself. :(

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
                      Know any tips for chesstalk Group features that I might not be aware of?
                      No. Maybe you'll teach us some :)

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
                        Thanks Egidijus. I ought to have posted your direct link too, but then people won't always be getting to my Group from this thread.

Know any tips for chesstalk Group features that I might not be aware of? A way to alert every Group member (if not every chesstalk viewer) that there is a new Group Message or Picture Comment (and for which Picture) would sure come in handy. Then I wouldn't have bothered to initiate this thread, nor post updates in it every now and then, after checking my Group Messages and Pictures for comments myself. :(
                        So far the only semi-useful tip concerning anyone being alerted by the chesstalk system to new Social Group 'Picture Comments' is a tip I came upon while reading about 'Your Notifications' (I found this after clicking on chesstalk's 'FAQ'):

"What are Your Notifications?

When you have logged into the board, a link to 'Your Notifications' may be displayed in the 'Welcome' box near the top of the forum. 'Your Notifications' will show if you have any one of the following:

Unread Private Messages (?)
                        Unread Profile Visitor Messages (?)
                        Profile Visitor Messages Awaiting Approval
                        Incoming Friend Requests (?)
                        Requests to Join Your Social Groups (?)
                        Invitations to Join Social Groups
                        Unread Picture Comments (?)
                        Picture Comments Awaiting Approval
                        By clicking on the 'Your Notifications' link, you will be able to quickly see how many of each type you have received. Clicking on any of the links in the menu will take you to the relevant page within the User Control Panel or elsewhere in the system.

If there are no notifications, then this link will be replaced by a link to 'Private Messages' (?)."

Chesstalk thus apparently notifies only the person who posted a given Group or Album Picture that someone else has posted a Picture Comment about it.

At least that's something, although it would be nice if chesstalk at least could also notify any/all Social Group members of new Social Group Messages being posted somehow.

I'll keep looking for more new tricks. ;)

Comment

In case I'm slow alerting my created Social Group's members (via a Forum thread like this one) to any of our new Group Messages, a tip to checking whether there are any such new messages (without waiting for me) is to click on 'Quick Links' in the main (English) chesstalk Forum (which doesn't actually bring up a whole new page) and then click on 'Social Groups' in the little dialogue box that pops up.

This makes for a faster process than doing it by, for example, clicking on 'User CP' (which actually brings up a whole new page), followed by then clicking on 'Social Groups' (followed by a longer trip back to the main Forum also, after seeing the date and time of the last posts for each Group displayed).
                          Last edited by Kevin Pacey; Wednesday, 2nd March, 2011, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Just wanted to alert 'Ottawa & Eastern Ontario' Public Social Group members that there have been two fresh Group Messages posted today, up to this minute afaik. One is by Tom O, concerning the chance of NJF returning to chess soon, and the second message is a reply by me. :)

Comment

Just wanted to alert 'Ottawa & Eastern Ontario' Public Social Group members that there has been one fresh Group Message posted today, up to this minute afaik. It is by myself, concerning the topic of the coming EOCA AGM (the date is not set yet).

For Group members (or others) here's a quick link:

http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/grou...=19#gmessage19

Comment

Working...
                              X