• Show
Clear All

• I.M Hartman Wins Brantford Active

Congratulations to Brian Hartman for winning the
    2011 Brantford Active with 5.5/6 as well as providing an
    excellent experience to expert juniors Adam Cormier and
    Razvan Preotu.

2nd Place went to Doug Bailey with cool 4.5/6

3rd Place in the Open was a split between Junior Adam Cormier, Li Hongyi both were U1700:) and Keith Wight with 4/6

Top Junior was tied by Zachary Dukic and Razvan Preotu 3.5/6:)

Thanks to Christopher Osborne for the vegetable trays
    and all the other players that made this event possible

Thank-you Lee Hendon
    Last edited by Lee Hendon; Saturday, 26th February, 2011, 08:55 PM.

Re: I.M Hartman Wins Brantford Active

Standings. 2011 Brantford Active

1 [I.M] Brian Hartman 5.5
    2 [F.M] Doug Bailey 4.5
    3 Keith Wight 4.0
    4 Adam Cormier 4.0
    5 Hongyi Li 4.0
    6 Mikhail Egorov 3.5
    7 Gordon Gooding 3.5
    8 Zachary Dukic 3.5
    9 Razvan Preotu 3.5
    10 Ralph Deline 3.0
    11 Rob Gashgarian 3.0
    12 Mario Piccinin 3.0
    13 Tyler Ensor 3.0
    14 Mario Moran-Venegas 2.5
    15 Robert Gillanders 2.0
    16 John Erickson 2.0
    17 Leslie Tang 2.0
    18 Joey Befurt 2.0
    19 Lee Hendon 1.5
    20 Christopher Osborne 0.0

Comment

Great job Lee and Rob. The free lunch was a really nice touch. :)

Thanks. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

The only flaw I see in this tournament was that Mr.Hebert did not show up for his free soup. :D

But yeah it was a good tournament, I wonder why there aren't more Active tournaments in Canada.
        University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

Bob said it guys, it was a very well organized tournament, and i look forward to attending this tournament next year!

Comment

Thanks again to Lee et al for a well run event. It was good to see some faces from the past.

One of my games saw me face Doug Bailey, who was mainly trained in the Hamilton School of Chess led by Frank Pushkedra, of which I was also a student at one time. However, once my opening/tactical skill was honed by various Hamilton players (Pushkedra, Vaitonis, Allan, etc., etc.), I ventured to the wilds of Toronto and gained from associations with Nickoloff and Day, and via events from Ivanov, Spraggett, etc, etc. Thus, when facing Doug, it is more typical to face a creative firestorm than a slow positional game. Doug is very dangerous with the initiative, and certainly my objective was to steer the opening so he wouldn't be able to display significant fireworks my way.

Hartman-Bailey (Brantford Active - Round 4)
            1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 g6 6.Be2 Bg7 7.O-O O-O 8.Bg5

To my knowledge, this was first researched by Alekhine. Nickoloff and I spent many hours developing various White schemes against Black responses, and while Bryon ultimately felt Black could equalize, I have used it from time to time with good results.

8...Nc6

For 8...Nbd7 one reference is my game versus IM McCambridge from the 1985 Chicago International, which Day (my roomate at the event) graciously put in his Toronto Star column at the time.

9.Nb3 Be6

There are other ideas for Black. Bryon developed a positional plan against say ...Bd7/...b5 plans via Re1, Bf1, Nd5, attempting to pressure Black into exchanging on d5.

10.f4 b5

This was considered theory even in the 1940s...

11.Bf3 a5

This was new to me, and seemed an over-reaction.

12.a4 Bb3 13.cxb3 b4 14.Nb5

I suspect Doug only anticpated the weaker 14.Nd5 thus his earlier moves.

14...Rc8 15.Kh1 Qd7? 16.Bxf6 Bxf6 17.e5 Bg7 18.h3!?

A partially psychological move as I was originally intending the simpler 18.Bg4, with a clear advantage, however, I couldn't see how Black could withstand the pressure and I went for a quicker invasion.

18...h5 19.exd6 Rfd8 20.f5 gxf5 21.Bxc6 Rxc6 22.Qxh5 e6 23.Qg5

The simple, but key move - White will trade along the c-file, and ultimately promote his passed pawn.

23...Kf8 24.Rac1 Rdc8 25.Rxc6 Rxc6 26.Rc1 Be5

Not wanting to lose via simply pawn promotion/domination themes, Doug pleases the audience.

27.Qe7+ Kg8 (If instead the trickier 27...Kg7, then 28.Re1 is simple enough) 28.Rd1 1-0

I also played promising junior players Cormier and Preotu, who both impressed me.

Keith Wight and I drew in the last round - I won a pawn, then completely lost the thread of the game for a few moves and was being outplayed by Keith, though likely it remained equal, and Keith graciously accepted my draw offer.

Brian

Comment

First I would like to congratulate Lee Handon on one great tournament! It had everything chess player could ask, great competition, titled players, talented juniors, free lunch with (free soup!):). What more can chess players ask for!

Unfortunately for some players this is not enough. :(

It was a pleasure to see IM Brian Hartman and FM Doug Bailey play head to head. Thank Brian for posting your analyzed game against Doug. I agree with Brian that Adam and Razven are very promising juniors. :) Adam matured into one fine player and he did it without a coach. Keep up great work Adam! I know that his 2 main inspirations are: book "How to Reassess Your Chess" and "Najdorf Sicilian"!

Hamilton School of Chess led by FM Frank Pushkedra is still alive and kicking. I played games against Frank, Brian and Denis and can tell you from my personal experience that Hamilton School of Chess is very strong. Evidence of that is promising junior Razven Preotu, who recently graduated into a strong expert at age of 11! It was very nice for Brian to spend and analyze his game with Razven and give him few pointers. Thanks Brian!

His recent accomplishments:
              - winning Elaine Howie Fund
              - at age of 10 playing against his first IGM Alex Shabalov
              - get mentioned in New In Chess magazine by Mr. Shabalov himself!
              - Ontario Grade 5 Chess Challenge Champion
              - achieving 2332 performance rating

Razven is not the only junior of improved Hamilton School of Chess. Other notable junior are: Damir Baizhienov, Richard Chen, Bobin Bogdan, and new comers: Boparti TJ and Vlad Coloji.

Richard Chen is another product of Hamilton Chess School and is only 9. He managed to jump from 1215 to 1404 in just 2 tournaments. This places him in top 10 U10 in Canada! :D

During Brantford tournament Brian had nothing by positive things to say about Bator. He told me:” Bator’s play and approach reminds him of Hamilton Club players like FM Frank Pushkedra, IM Paul Vitonis, FM Dennis Allan and he would fit right in” I completely agree with Brian. Bator is approach is positional and very logical.

I would like to remind that next big tournament is Hamilton is Hamilton Winter Open! The field is led by IGM Bator Sambuev, who will be hosting a lecture on Friday March 25th in Hamilton City Chess Club. Entry fee will be $5 for players who will be playing in Hamilton Winter Open, free for Hamilton Club members and $10.00 for all other comers. It would be a pleasure to have IM Brian Harman as a honouree participant of Hamilton Winter Open! :)

Comment

Thanks for every-bodies positive feed back and for
                Brian analyzing his game with Doug.

Mike i phoned and left a message with Dan the guy who does the
                chess boards to tell me him that you would be giving him a call:)

Thank-you Lee

Comment

Working...
                X