Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Endgame - TV show about chess master

Here's the description:

After witnessing the murder of his fiancée, former World Chess Champion Arkady Balagan develops a debilitating case of agoraphobia. Unable to leave his hotel and running out of money, the arrogant and charismatic Russian inadvertently becomes a detective - using his fierce analytical skills to solve baffling crimes.

It premieres March 14 on showcase. Watch the trailer.
    Marcus Wilker
    Annex Chess Club
    Toronto, Ontario

Re: Endgame - TV show about chess master Premieres Monday, March 14 at 10pm ET/PT

http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/showthread.php?t=4079 Previous Thread on Chesstalk.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

We discussed the production of the Showcase production "Endgame" which was filmed and produced in Vancouver, BC, last fall when some of the BCCF directors were contacted for consultation.

Brian Raymer, of the Victoria Junior Chess helped them out and we are looking forward to seeing the premier of this in 2 weeks!

Premieres Monday, March 14 at 10pm ET/PT on Showcase Television.

Comment

Re: Endgame - TV show about chess master

Thanks for the info Mark. I look forward to watching this. It is good to see involvement of someone like Brian Raymer in the production.

Comment

Has Jason Cao been cast as the 10 year old prodigy?

Comment

It's on tonight and I have recorded it and so will have a look and report back.

Edited to add: GM Arkady Balagan is the World Champion whose wife was killed suddenly. Arkady has become agoraphobic since his wife's death and remains in The Huxley (a posh hotel in Vancouver) while his bills add up. His analytical brilliance, presumably from his chess playing, leads him to solve the crime of a kidnapping - for which he gets paid enough to continue staying at the hotel - and there's your main premise for the series.

I don't know if it will last based on this premise. It's a little weak. However, there are some hopeful signs: the Vancouver setting is taken advantage of, some good shots, including some English Bay sunsets; visualization techniques are made use of and the Vancouver skyline is made to look chessboard-like; Arkady visualizes the board with people in his life on it (miniaturized); some effort is made to demonstrate the sorts of mental skills a strong player might be expected to have. In thinking about a particular problem, Arkady visualizes the people in the situation, putting himself there the way whats-his-name puts himself there in The Dead Zone. (Not so scary).

I particularly like when Arkady is asked "What are you going to do?" in relation to the huge bill that is adding up.
          "Play chess," he says. This reminds me a little of a line that Winnipeger Kevin Gentes used many times when the people around him were arguing one point or another. "Just play chess," Kevin would say.

Anyway, it's a start. There are some familiar Vancouver actors, Arkady has a FIDE Master protegee who might play a role in future episodes, etc. But if he doesn't leave the hotel then it's going to be Sherlock Holmes never leaving Baker Street.

We'll see.
          Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Tuesday, 15th March, 2011, 05:12 AM. Reason: review of 1st episode "Opening Moves" added
          Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Just to clarify....I was not involved in production. Victoria Junior Chess helped out by loaning some giant pieces for promo photos.

Comment

Kinda disappointing, wasn't it :( The main character was just silly in that long robe.

Comment

Is the main character based on Garry Kasparov? (I still haven't seen the show, just heard a bit of talk...)
                Marcus Wilker
                Annex Chess Club
                Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Look quickly for local players Joe Roback and Eugenio Campos in the simultaneous exhibition scene in the opening episode. And where did Balagan pick up that odd way of castling? The truth is out there...

Comment

Working...
                  X