Ontario Chess Association

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ontario Chess Association

The CFC has been under a lot of scrutiny lately. Questions have arisen about whether we get good value for our membership fees. For a number of reasons, I'm reasonably happy with what I get for my membership dollars. I like having a national rating system and therefore I'm willing to support the organization to the tune of $36/year for that service.

I am, however, rather curious about where Ontario Chess Association fees go. For the sake of argument, let's forget the last couple of years. A lot of money flowed through the hands of the OCA in those years with results that are to say the least controversial. But in normal years the OCA has $7 X 523 adult members (plus fees for juniors). That adds up to something in excess of $3600. Where does this money go? Just curious. I tried to visit www.chessontario.com but that web site was unresponsive.

Re: Ontario Chess Association

Typically, about $1100 would get passed down to the leagues for them to use as they see fit, $1100 would be put towards the two main tournaments (Ontario Open and OYCC) and the rest would be allocated in smaller amounts supporting whatever initiatives were important that particular year.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

The OCA passed on $1,000 a year to the GTCL which went to rating fees and trophies for team championship, Toronto Closed, Women's/Junior/Seniors Championships. The other biggest GTCL expense is hosting of the GTCL website which has been provided for free by Barry Thorvardson.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
        The OCA passed on $1,000 a year to the GTCL which went to rating fees and trophies for team championship, Toronto Closed, Women's/Junior/Seniors Championships. The other biggest GTCL expense is hosting of the GTCL website which has been provided for free by Barry Thorvardson.
        Is it being implied that GTCL gets disproportionately more funding than the other regions?

Comment

All leagues used to receive $1000 a year for two or three years, which in all cases was more than they were entitled to under the actual rules. In other words nobody got less than they should have under the policy.

For obvious reasons that can't be continued at the moment...
          Christopher Mallon
          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Working...
          X