Chess in Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess in Hawaii

I am happily spending a few days in Honolulu, and getting in a bit of chess as well. Hotels line the main street, and the opposite side has a strip of green space before you reach the beach. Along this green strip are several groups of tables under shelters - one group which is reserved for chess and other games (I saw bridge, go, and mah-jong being played as well). The players I have encountered are probably 1700-1800 strength - about half playing with clocks - some even playing for money ($5 a game).

I have played some (blitz) games almost every night - winning them all (stopping after 4 or 5 games to let others in). The spectators were impressed :-)

Re: Chess in Hawaii

I recommend this club:

MILILANI HI. MILILANI CHESS CLUB (USCF ID A6014018). Affiliate Type: Club. 1800HRS - 2100HRS. MILILANI REC CENTER 6, 95-1010 KONAKU ST, MILILANI. Contact: Guy P. Ontai. Contact Phone: 808-371-2145 808-371-2145 Club Phone: 808-625-2769 808-625-2769 Club Fax: 808-627-1421. Sponsor: Cornelius Rubsamen. Address: 95-401 IKALOA ST, MILILANI, HI, 96789-1339. email: leeb004@hawaii.rr.com. Web Site: www.mililanichess.org, Club Membership Not Required, Casual Play, USCF Rated Events, Unrated Events, Blitz Events, Bughouse, Sets Available, Clocks Available, Book Library, Chess Items for Sale, Classes Offered, Lectures Offered, Chess Camps, Private Lessons Offered, Simuls Offered, Under Age 18 Welcome, Beginners Welcome, Refreshments, Handicap Accessible. (Crosstables from past rated tourneys for this affiliate)

There is a bus that goes pretty close to the site (maybe a ten minute walk away). The strongest players there were roughly 2200, I think. The organizer, Guy Ontai, is very accommodating and I am sure you can get a ride at least back to Waikiki from some member after the club is over.
    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

I played on the exact location that Hugh played not too long ago!Won a few bucks.I was hiking to Diamond Head and took a breather...great fun.JJ Henry,Senior Instructor Chess & Math,Toronto.

Comment

I got info on Hawaiian chess clubs from http://www.hawaiiforvisitors.com/oah...ties/chess.htm

I felt they were a little too far to travel to by bus - considering the snail-like traffic almost everywhere in/near Honolulu (allegedly - only Reykjavik (Iceland) has more cars per capita than Honolulu). But you can take a city bus (for $2.50 and air-conditioned) for a four-hour ride circling the island of Oahu (something like 75-80 miles).

Wednesday night was my last night there, and there were 5 tables of chess on the beach - but no clocks! So I passed.

I tried to get a Google Streetview image of the chess area - but they only play at night, and the image is during the day.

I also climbed to the top of Diamond Head - great views, but not much space to walk around in once you get there.
        (view of Diamond Head from outside my hotel): http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...62.09,,0,-6.56
        Last edited by Hugh Brodie; Friday, 4th March, 2011, 06:02 PM.

Comment

if you are still there,boat to or a quick flight to Molokai-most awesome of the Islands.Dramatic scenery,great beaches,Western town-straight out of Arizona.But I saw no Chess-start a Club up!!!

Comment

Working...
          X