March of Kings live games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March of Kings live games

A small weekend tournament by the name of: March of Kings is taking place in Calgary. We are currently broadcasting the top 2 games online.

http://www.albertachess.org/2011MOK.html

Broadcasting In-Club Tournament Games

Hi Vlad:

Broadcasting of smaller Canadian weekend tournaments is a nice advance. I know you will get a viewership of class players interested in watching Canadian games.

I know that in Alberta, a club has even broadcast from time to time, the top boards of their in-club tournament. I think this is an idea who's day will come. Local players would love to be able to watch the top tournament games of the larger local clubs in the area. They will likely know some of the players, and as well, club members who might not be able to make it that night for some reason, could tune in to see a few of their clubmates games.

The Scarborough CC Executive considered a submission that would have seen the top board in all club tournaments throughout the year, broadcast on a regular weekly basis. But after some consideration, they rejected the submission. Maybe some day in the not too distant future, the idea will surface again, successfully.

Do you think it is worth a club's time, effort and expense to institute such a program?

Bob

Comment

Re: March of Kings live games

For live games, you need to invest money in either a Monroi or a DGT setup - either can be pricey.

The other alternative is to have someone on-site entering the moves on a computer while the games are in progress. Ideally - you need a "runner" bringing moves from the boards to the computer person. This way, you can do several games at once - but don't get too many moves behind!

Comment

Re: Broadcasting In-Club Tournament Games

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
        Hi Vlad:

Broadcasting of smaller Canadian weekend tournaments is a nice advance. I know you will get a viewership of class players interested in watching Canadian games.

I know that in Alberta, a club has even broadcast from time to time, the top boards of their in-club tournament. I think this is an idea who's day will come. Local players would love to be able to watch the top tournament games of the larger local clubs in the area. They will likely know some of the players, and as well, club members who might not be able to make it that night for some reason, could tune in to see a few of their clubmates games.

The Scarborough CC Executive considered a submission that would have seen the top board in all club tournaments throughout the year, broadcast on a regular weekly basis. But after some consideration, they rejected the submission. Maybe some day in the not too distant future, the idea will surface again, successfully.

Do you think it is worth a club's time, effort and expense to institute such a program?

Bob
        Its really hard to say, it costs quite a bit to purchase the equipment from either DGT or Monroi. In Alberta we purchased some boards from DGT about 4 years ago, but we run some International events, so I don't know if we would have purchased them in the first place if all we ever wanted to do was display smaller events.
        Now that we have them, the only issue is whether we actually have someone who is a) knowledgeable in how to set them up and b) is willing to do it.
        For tournaments that have both, its if nothing else a nice addition to the overall event.
        As it stands now we use them for some weekend tournaments and the bigger events like the international.

Comment

Re: March of Kings live games

In Montreal (and other important tournaments in Quebec), we have a volunteer (Luc Forget), who (if I'm not mistaken) purchased (at least) four DGT boards, which he sets up for live broadcasting and lets them run while he's playing his own game. Rarely are there problems - as long as the players know how to indicate a game result upon completion (placing the two K's on certain squares) before starting post-game analysis.

Comment

Working...
          X