X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calgary-Saskatchewan match on FICS

Here is a message from team Calgary director-Tony Ficzere:

4 players from the Calgary Chess Club will battle it out against 4 players
    from Saskatchewan this Saturday live on FICS: www.freechess.org The rate of play will be game in
    120 + 30 second increments. The match will be CFC rated. The losing team will
    pay the rating fees.

Here is the line-up for this historic battle. The name after the rating is the
    plays FICS handle. We should know all handles by tomorrow night:

Team Calgary
    Board 1: Dale Haessel (2266) dhaessel
    Board 2: Roy Yearwood (2188)
    Board 3: Vlad Rekhson (2133) vrekhson
    Board 4: Krishneel Singh (1604) ThePsycal
    Team average: 2048

Team Saskatchewan
    Board 1: Robert Sasata (2384)
    Board 2: Keith MacKinnon (2338)
    Board 3: Jamin Gluckie (2134)
    Board 4: Jason Xiao (1483)
    Team average: 2085

I will be the arbiter for Team Calgary. 3 of our boards will be playing at the
    Calgary Chess Club. A last minute glitch has Vlad playing in Edmonton for us.
    Jamin will act as arbiter for Team Saskatchewan.

Anybody can watch the games for free. All you need do is download a FICS
    interface (Babaschess is the best one to use and set it to one of the blitzen
    modes). You also need to sign up for an account. Its easy and most importantly,
    its free (didn't I say that).

The games start at 9 am this Saturday. Just search for the handles to find the
    games.

Go Calgary!

Re: Calgary-Saskatchewan match on FICS

Here again are the teams with handles:

Team Calgary
    Board 1: Dale Haessel (2266) dhaessel
    Board 2: Roy Yearwood (2188) RYearwood
    Board 4: Krishneel Singh (1604) ThePsycal

Team Saskatchewan
    Board 1: Robert Sasata (2384) Penguindoo
    Board 2: Keith MacKinnon (2338) Atomicfrost
    Board 3: Jamin Gluckie (2134) Gluckie
    Board 4: Jason Xiao (1483) Checkmatewiz

Comment

A couple of problems getting started but the games are underway. Note the different handles for Haessel and Krishneel. Also, the internet connection at the Calgary Chess Club isn't very reliable, have had a couple of disconnects so far.

Team Calgary
      Board 1: Dale Haessel (2266) fritzer
      Board 2: Roy Yearwood (2188) RYearwood
      Board 4: Krishneel Singh (1604) krishsingh

Team Saskatchewan
      Board 1: Robert Sasata (2384) Penguindoo
      Board 2: Keith MacKinnon (2338) Atomicfrost
      Board 3: Jamin Gluckie (2134) Gluckie
      Board 4: Jason Xiao (1483) Checkmatewiz

Comment

Saskatchewan defeated Calgary in style yesterday by scoring 5.5-2.5 in the 8 games played.

In the first round things looked to be going well for Calgary. On board one,
        Dale Haessel held a slight advantage with the black pieces over Robert Sasata but when it came down to the crunch and both players were playing on increment only, Robert scored the full point. I didn't see the game between Vlad and Jamin but I understand it was a strange draw. MacKinnon easily put the boots to Roy and our only bright spot was Krishneel who won over Jason.

I was pre-occupied with the junior classes that I run here at the club on
        Saturdays and was unable to watch much of the match. The only game I did see was Krishneel's and he easily won over his opponent. The rest of our team all lost their second round games.

The Calgary team was plagued with connection problems throughout. I think perhaps we should look at purchasing a new wireless router to lessen this problem in future matches.

Congratulations to Saskatchewan on their excellent performance. There are rumblings about a re-match in the future.

Comment

Thanks to both teams for putting on this match. It was very interesting to watch, and would have been closer if Sasata had not turned his first game around in dramatic fashion. Is it time start organizing BC vs AB?

Comment

Sure. We are a bit tight for time right now unless you would agree to play on a Thursday night. That works best for us. Drop us an email.

tficzere@telus.net

Comment

Working...
            X