Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Possible Sponsor for Chess?

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
    I didn't realize that we were, relatively speaking, that close in our ages. :)

I came in second in the 1978-9 Canadian Junior, as well as the Ontario one.
    Back then the winner of the Canadian Junior was whichever junior had the most points in the Canadian Open, as I recall. I didn't have the money to travel for that one so didn't compete. A Manitoba player, who finished down the track, so to speak, represented the province and won the Canadian Junior.

Mainly, I'm curious how many provincial junior players, now over 40, have stuck with the game and are still around. Some I already know.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
      I still believe that until the CFC rethinks their marketing strategy, we are never going to see any particular sponsorship of chess.
      I did a double-take when I re-read your post just now.

I'm not sure that the CFC has much of a marketing strategy. Can anyone sum up what it is?

I know the CFC has long-vacant officer positions regarding publicity and fundraising (can't recall what the positions are called exactly).
      Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
      Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

I'm not sure that the CFC has much of a marketing strategy. Can anyone sum up what it is?
        Maybe ask and pray?
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Relevant CFC Non-executive Officer Positions

Hi Kevin:

In the middle of last year, I volunteered to be " acting " Public Relations Coordinator ( a non-executive officer position ). Then late last year I volunteered to take on the position on a permanent basis ( to be reappointed each AGM as I understand it ). It was previously known as Director of Publicity ( with a slightly smaller scope ), and had never been filled since it was created some time ago.

The other non-executive officer position you are referring to that is still vacant is the " Director of Fundraising ". This position has never been filled, to my knowledge, since it was created many moons ago.

There is also another vacant non-executive officer position of Tournament Coordinator, created at the 2010 AGM.

Bob
          ( http://www.twitter.com/ChessPleb )
          Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Wednesday, 16th March, 2011, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Re: Relevant CFC Non-executive Officer Positions

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
            Hi Kevin:

In the middle of last year, I volunteered to be " acting " Public Relations Coordinator ( a non-executive officer position ). Then late last year I volunteered to take on the position on a permanent basis ( to be reappointed each AGM as I understand it ). It was previously known as Director of Publicity ( with a slightly smaller scope ), and had never been filled since it was created some time ago.

The other non-executive officer position you are referring to that is still vacant is the " Director of Fundraising ". This position has never been filled, to my knowledge, since it was created many moons ago.

There is also another vacant non-executive officer position of Tournament Coordinator, created at the 2010 AGM.

Bob
            It's good the CFC has the PR officer position filled. Thanks.

I can't recall if that position, and/or the still vacant one for Fundraising, would include some or all aspects of CFC marketing in the future, or even presently. I had presumed that the present CFC marketing strategy is being conducted entirely by some or all members of the Executive.

Offhand I'd guess that the present CFC marketing strategy is in whole or in large part based on getting the new website up and running, and continuing to orchestrate the CYCC. Otherwise, unless there is behind the scenes action I'm unaware of (or the public shouldn't be informed of), I also would guess that seeking sponsorship for chess in Canada is being left mainly or entirely to local organizers, who are independent of the CFC, except that they often happen to be Governors.

Comment

Re: Relevant CFC Non-executive Officer Positions

It's good the CFC has the PR officer position filled. Thanks.

I can't recall if that position, and/or the still vacant one for Fundraising, would include some or all aspects of CFC marketing in the future, or even presently. I had presumed that the present CFC marketing strategy is being conducted entirely by some or all members of the Executive.

Offhand I'd guess that the present CFC marketing strategy is in whole or in large part based on getting the new website up and running, and continuing to orchestrate the CYCC. Otherwise, unless there is behind the scenes action I'm unaware of (or the public shouldn't be informed of), I also would guess that seeking sponsorship for chess in Canada is being left mainly or entirely to local organizers, who are independent of the CFC, except that they often happen to be Governors.
              Here's what I dug up from 2010-11 GL#1 concerning the duties of the PR Coordinator officer (currently Bob Armstrong):

"8C. The Public Relations Coordinator will be responsible for promoting the image of the CFC
              and for promoting chess generally to the public. As such the Public Relations Coordinator will,
              among other things:
              - work with chess clubs and organizers across Canada to raise the profile of the CFC and chess
              generally;
              - work with the editor of the Canadian Chess News E-newsletter to develop content that is club
              specific;
              - work with the Canadian Chess News editor and celebrity chess commentators to develop paid
              content that raises the profile of the e-newsletter and the CFC and chess generally.
              - deal with mainstream media to promote significant chess news, such as Canadian Chess
              Champions, a new Canadian GM, major tournaments like the Can. Closed, Canadian Open, Can.
              Women’s Closed, CYCC, etc., the various benefits accruing from playing chess and other
              positive aspects of the chess culture."

I also dug up the following from the CFC Handbook concerning the duties of the Director of Fundraising (a currently vacant officer position, as it has been since its creation):

"396. Director of Fundraising
              Motion Pacey /Cohen in 2004-05 GL8:
              At the 2005 Annual Meeting the Assembly shall appoint a general officer known as the Director of Fundraising, whose duty is to apply for government and foundation grants, and seek corporate sponsorship on behalf of the CFC."

Comment

Director of Fundraising ( CFC Non-executive Officer Position )

I also dug up the following from the CFC Handbook concerning the duties of the Director of Fundraising (a currently vacant officer position, as it has been since its creation):

"396. Director of Fundraising
                Motion Pacey /Cohen in 2004-05 GL8:
                At the 2005 Annual Meeting the Assembly shall appoint a general officer known as the Director of Fundraising, whose duty is to apply for government and foundation grants, and seek corporate sponsorship on behalf of the CFC."
                Hi Kevin:

I would only note that despite the concern often expressed on the discussion boards ( CFC & CMA ), about the lack of chess sponsorship, no one has come forward for years to try to take on the problem, as Director of Fundraising.

Is it just too great a task? Does no one feel up to trying to make progress on this front?

CFC could certainly use a volunteer for this position, to try to commence efforts re chess sponsorship.

Bob
                ( http://www.twitter.com/ChessPleb )
                Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Thursday, 17th March, 2011, 01:44 AM.

Comment

Re: Director of Fundraising ( CFC Non-executive Officer Position )

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                  I would only note that despite the concern often expressed on the discussion boards ( CFC & CMA ), about the lack of chess sponsorship, no one has come forward for years to try to take on the problem, as Director of Fundraising.

Is it just too great a task? Does no one feel up to trying to make progress on this front?
                  Why do they need money? It's a question a sponsor might ask. I thought they had money they have put with the foundation because there is nothing on which they want to spend it.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                    Why do they need money? It's a question a sponsor might ask. I thought they had money they have put with the foundation because there is nothing on which they want to spend it.
                    And I wish they would ask that question.

Here's the answer:

Foundation funds are made of two basic components:

1. Life memberships - principle is kept indefinitely, and the income earned helps CFC provide services to life members.
                    2. Specific bequests - principle maintained in the fund as per donor request, income earned helps CFC provide services to members.

I think potential donors would be satisfied with these answers.
                    It is preferable to "we need money cause we don't have any" :(
                    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Thursday, 17th March, 2011, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

1. Life memberships - principle is kept indefinitely, and the income earned helps CFC provide services to life members.
                      Dead people don't need services. At least not those kind of services.

Giving up present membership income for future interest income is a choice. I recall discussing this decades ago with a CFC president. The idea was the memberships would increase. On the model at the time my concern was it would reach a point where future membership and other fees would have to be raised for the new members to support the life members.

Of course, as we know, the membership has dropped. The magazine has been discontinued for an email version.

So tell me Bob, how does it feel to be the president of a chess organization where the income pays the administrative cost and there is no money for the programs or to promote chess. The foundation controls the cash. Kind of makes you want to run for another term, doesn't it?
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Dead people don't need services. At least not those kind of services.

Giving up present membership income for future interest income is a choice. I recall discussing this decades ago with a CFC president. The idea was the memberships would increase. On the model at the time my concern was it would reach a point where future membership and other fees would have to be raised for the new members to support the life members.

Of course, as we know, the membership has dropped. The magazine has been discontinued for an email version.

So tell me Bob, how does it feel to be the president of a chess organization where the income pays the administrative cost and there is no money for the programs or to promote chess. The foundation controls the cash. Kind of makes you want to run for another term, doesn't it?
                        You forgot to mention the part where "almost everyone bitches about the situation yet nearly no one pitches in to help in any way". That pretty much seals the deal...
                        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                          You forgot to mention the part where "almost everyone bitches about the situation yet nearly no one pitches in to help in any way". That pretty much seals the deal...
                          Help do what?

It costs money to do membership drives and promote chess. We used to get free newspaper advertising for the Scarborough club and even got the room free for some years. The Scarborough newspaper advertised us as a service club.

The correspondence club was expensive to advertise. If you go back on the CFC magazines you'll see the advertisements in the magazines. We paid for those. It used to be expensive for me to write to all the chess clubs in the country to get members. The correspondence Canadian Opens were expensive to advertise. It all took a lot of time. Getting members isn't free. As the membership secretary doing the work was my job. I have to say when I wanted to do something which hadn't been done before the executive supported me and the expenditures were approved. I think I always turned the initiatives into membership increases. Memberships is what it's all about. The more players the more fun for everyone and the competition helps to improve the playing strength of the entire pool of players.

So simple is chess organizing...
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Giving up present membership income for future interest income is a choice.
                            Yes, it is a choice. Back in 2007, as the new and naive CFC Treasurer, I proposed that a portion of the life memberships dues be transferred back to the CFC. Well, considering the outrage that that sparked, you might have thought I just killed someone. :( The overwhelming sentiment was "don't touch that", perhaps mostly predicated on the assumption that we couldn't be trusted.

With 3 years of balanced budgets, maybe it is time to review that policy. Should the Life membership dues be held indefinitely by the Foundation with the policy of long term stability for the chess community, or used for current program expenditures designed to spur membership growth. It is a legitimate debate.

Perhaps (I love this word) your Inner Galactic Chess Federation could apply for CFC affiliate status, and you could argue the case as the new 61st CFC Governor. :D

Comment

hmmm...not really. I don't even get to vote. :o

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                                Yes, it is a choice. Back in 2007, as the new and naive CFC Treasurer, I proposed that a portion of the life memberships dues be transferred back to the CFC. Well, considering the outrage that that sparked, you might have thought I just killed someone. :( The overwhelming sentiment was "don't touch that", perhaps mostly predicated on the assumption that we couldn't be trusted. ...
                                And that's a critical way in which the CFC has been badly damaged by a decade or more of largely incompetent (even unethical at times) management; i.e. there are members who have been disappointed so often that they simply don't believe that management can be trusted to make responsible, timely, relevant, ethical decisions. This lack of confidence extends to at least one provincial association as well - Ontario (the Trillium disgrace). I think you're the exception to this unfortunate "rule", Bob. It's too bad you're unable to run for another term.
                                "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                                "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                                "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Working...
                                X