Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100 CAD for participation in eye movement research

Dear chess players,

We are looking for participants for our research about chess skill starting in April. Below the information you need.

*Requirement: < 1500 CFC or > 2000 CFC (if you don't have a CFC rating but do know how to play chess, you are also invited)
    *Location: Eye movement lab at the University of Toronto, Mississauga (http://psych.utoronto.ca/users/reing...irections.html)
    *Duration: About 3 hours
    *Vision: If you have contact lenses it is no problem, but please also bring your glasses
    *Pay: 100 CAD

If you want to know more about past work, you can have a look at the website of the lab (http://psych.utoronto.ca/users/reingold/).

Two papers that give a good overview and could be of interest:
    - Reingold, E. M & Charness, N. (2005). Perception in chess: Evidence from eye movements. In G. Underwood (Ed.), Cognitive processes in eye guidance. (pp. 325-354). Oxford: Oxford University Press. (PDF online at the lab)
    - Charness, N., Tuffiash, M., Krampe, R., Reingold, E. M., & Vasyukova, E. (2005). The role of deliberate practice in chess expertise. Applied Cognitive Psychology, 19, 151-165. (PDF online at the lab)

If you are interested to participate, please contact Prof. dr. E. Reingold (reingold@psych.toronto.edu).

Best,

Eyal Reingold
    Heather Sheridan
    Rick Lahaye

Re: 100 CAD for participation in eye movement research

So... we'd get $100 to play chess for three hours!?

And you guys can gauge our skill from our eye movements.

Comment

I've participated in some U of T research studies in the past. My favourite was when they put my head in a vice with a video camera pointed at my eye. I was to just look forward while they played a soundtrack of various noises. Afterwards I got to look at the video and see how my eye expanded in response to loud surprises. There were some interesting sounding studies at the nearby Clarke Institute, but you had to already be a drug addict to participate. We have had some alcoholic masters, I would like to see if alcohol affects chess ability.

Comment

@Kevin: Yes. Although no game of chess, but different chess related tasks. For instance. You will need to solve chess puzzles.

If you're interested, just send an email to Eyal Reingold. He will write your name down and contact you for the research.

@Erik: Indeed interesting. I don't know of any chess related research about that topic. I would say there is outside chess research.

Comment

Will you do it on Saturdays?

Comment

What is the day in this April and hours of playing chess? Can we know that information, please?

Comment

@ Egidijus: Saturday and Sunday are possible yes.

@ Caesar: If you leave your contact information someone will contact you to make an appointment. Depends on your schedule when you got time.

As a chess player (FIDE 2368) and coach myself I can say this is interesting research and I hope a lot of people will participate.

We hope to hear from you.

Best,

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Lahaye View Post
                @ Egidijus: Saturday and Sunday are possible yes.

@ Caesar: If you leave your contact information someone will contact you to make an appointment. Depends on your schedule when you got time.

As a chess player (FIDE 2368) and coach myself I can say this is interesting research and I hope a lot of people will participate.

We hope to hear from you.

Best,

Rick
                Hello Rick,
                I've sent already my message regarding my participation to the directed e-mail address as above.

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar Posylek View Post
                  Hello Rick,
                  I've sent already my message regarding my participation to the directed e-mail address as above.
                  I am confused; does your rating match the requirements?
                  i rep back 3+

Comment

@ Caesar: If you already send an email he or someone else will contact you soon to make a personal appointment. You will get contacted to see when you're available. The research starts in April.

@Kevin: The requirement is having a CFC rating below 1500 or above 2000. Everyone who signs up will get contacted and we will also check the CFC rating. I hope that answers your question.

If there are other questions, just let me know. For instance. If people are interested to participate after office hours. That's also possible.

When interested, just send an email to Eyal Reingold (reingold@psych.toronto.edu) with your name and if you know, add your CFC rating (we will also check it). After you signed up, you will get contacted soon.

Best,

Rick

Comment

Do you have to be a certain age in order to participate?
                      University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

@ Adam: Age is no problem.

Comment

I got a question about players who wanted to come together to do the research. We have more eye trackers, so yes this is possible. We can let you do the research at the same time on two different computers.

So bring your friend if you want :D

Comment

Just a quick update as of May 4:

The researchers are still looking for subjects in the
                            rating ranges <1500 and >2000.

$100 tax free, for 4 hours work.

The experiment is being conducted at the U of T,
                            Mississauga campus. It is one bus ride (route 1C)
                            on Mississauga Transit from the Islington station.

Comment

We are looking for five more chess players above cfc 2000 who want to participate with the eye movement research of the University of Toronto.

We would be gratefull for your help!

Best,

Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X