Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIDE rules question

Hello,

Can an arbiter accept the request "not to pair" together 2 players in a Swiss tournament if the pairing rules can allow this? In cases like family, or two players from out of town members of the same club.

In case this change is possible, is it mandatory?

Thanks
    Andrei

Re: FIDE rules question

This sort of thing would be at the arbiter's discretion and would depend on the situation in the tournament and the nature of the tournament. I normally try to pair around out of towners from the same area playing and ditto family members. I think if you check the CFC Handbook, it covers this situation.

I doubt that FIDE would allow for this (in writing, anyway).

Comment

From the CFC Handbook:

VARIATION 619.1: If specifically requested by the players involved, minor transpositions may be made in the first two rounds of a tournament at the director's discretion in order to avoid pairing players from the same region, city, team, family, etc. but only to the extent that the results of the tournament as a whole are not substantially affected by this procedure.

I am not aware of any such allowance under FIDE rules - witness the pairing of certain teams at the olympiad (e.g., Israel) where it is known in advance that one side will forfeit the match, or the number of times Canadians have been paired together in the first few rounds of the WYCC ...

Comment

I think that FIDE does not permit the arbiter to act in this way if the tournament is held according to FIDE rules.

Article 13: The role of the Arbiter (See Preface)
        13.1 The arbiter shall see that the Laws of Chess are strictly observed.
        13.6 The arbiter must not intervene in a game except in cases described by the Laws of Chess.

The rules for the various Swiss Systems say nothing about not pairing two players simply because they do not wish to play each other. So bowing to the wishes of the two players would seem to be intervening in a game in a case not described by the Laws of Chess. Therefore this is a violation of 13.6.

Comment

Yes, Stephen, FIDE rules do not allow such minor transpositions (but I've done them!). Nonetheless, it is standard practice for FIDE to change the pairings of Israel (and other countries) to avoid forfeited matches. My first direct experience of that was in the first round of my first olympiad, at Lucerne 1982. Albania would have refused to play three countries (USA, USSR, and Israel, AFAIR), and their first round pairing was changed. It is true that Israel was recently paired against a country that turned out unwilling to play them, but I'd have to count that as an oversight on the part of the Pairing Committee, a glitch after many decades of careful tending.

The FIDE rules say absolute objectivity and reproducibility, but actions speak louder.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
            Yes, Stephen, FIDE rules do not allow such minor transpositions (but I've done them!). Nonetheless, it is standard practice for FIDE to change the pairings of Israel (and other countries) to avoid forfeited matches. My first direct experience of that was in the first round of my first olympiad, at Lucerne 1982. Albania would have refused to play three countries (USA, USSR, and Israel, AFAIR), and their first round pairing was changed.
            How about the final round with the two nations the only ones tied for first place and due to play each other. Would you use a subjective pairing system instead of the pairing rules of FIDE?
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
              How about the final round with the two nations the only ones tied for first place and due to play each other. Would you use a subjective pairing system instead of the pairing rules of FIDE?
              In answer to your question: Pairing rules.

In the early rounds, it is common in North America (and perhaps elsewhere) to avoid people playing together who are related in some way (family, school, city, province, state etc.). Usually this restriction is taken off by the time one third of the event is completed and therefore it does not influence the final results.

Comment

Working...
              X