Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groningen 1946 and 1996 -- video link

http://www.youtube.com/user/HPGvideo.../1/S8hOB0dJDJU

Our own GM D.A. Yanofsky is prominently featured in this video.

Re: Groningen 1946 and 1996 -- video link

Excellent video! I have a copy of the original tournament book, in Dutch, and the Dutch were very appreciative of our Dan Abe! Here are some of the comments:
    "D.A. Yanofsky, born in Ruszyn, Poland, in March, 1925, ...was the youngest participant. He had only one success to his name, the Olympiad tournament in Buenos Aires in 1939, where he played 2nd board for Canada, and obtained 14.5 points out of 16. Normally this result would have created a sensation, but just at this time the Germans had invaded Poland and the world had other things to think about than the results of a chess wonder child. But seven years later, in the 15th round in Groningen, Yanofsky earned his reward when after beating Botwinnik he was overwhelmed with congratulations. A strong chess master he will certainly become."

Comment

What a strange coincidence. In reviewing the new TV series "Endgame", this morning I began to think about how believable it might be that a chess World Champion was staying at a swank hotel in Vancouver--and suddenly becomes trapped. Well, Spassky, before and after. Fischer, before.... But which other prominent players? So, casting back, I thought of a Blitz session in connection with a FIDE meeting, attended by none other than Carlos Guimard, after whom the Guimard Variation of the French Defence is named....

Then, maybe an hour later, I follow Dan's link, and the second game is Smyslov versus Guimard, in the same variation. How many times per decade do you think of Carlos Guimard?--has become how many times per day.

Incidentally, Dan, in the first episode of Endgame, Balagan is speaking with his manager Mathias by computer (with video), and says something that sounds like:

"Ya khu fa shpe ta ti dan"

Ya could be Russian for "I", but the rest doesn't make sense to me, and the cadence didn't strike me as Russian and I couldn't make sense out of it. Does anybody know what language it is, and what does it mean exactly? In the show, it was a signal for Mathias to sign off.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
        What a strange coincidence. In reviewing the new TV series "Endgame", this morning I began to think about how believable it might be that a chess World Champion was staying at a swank hotel in Vancouver--and suddenly becomes trapped. Well, Spassky, before and after. Fischer, before.... But which other prominent players? So, casting back, I thought of a Blitz session in connection with a FIDE meeting, attended by none other than Carlos Guimard, after whom the Guimard Variation of the French Defence is named....

Then, maybe an hour later, I follow Dan's link, and the second game is Smyslov versus Guimard, in the same variation. How many times per decade do you think of Carlos Guimard?--has become how many times per day.

Incidentally, Dan, in the first episode of Endgame, Balagan is speaking with his manager Mathias by computer (with video), and says something that sounds like:

Ya could be Russian for "I", but the rest doesn't make sense to me, and the cadence didn't strike me as Russian and I couldn't make sense out of it. Does anybody know what language it is, and what does it mean exactly? In the show, it was a signal for Mathias to sign off.
        The first episode of Endgame is on again tonight at 7pm, and on Sunday at 5pm and 11pm.

They have some facebook mystery-solving game:
        http://www.showcase.ca/blog/archive/...eds-y-o-u.aspx

Comment

Are the authors who collaborated on the video IM Hebert, IM Perez, and GM Garcia?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
            In the first episode of Endgame, Balagan is speaking with his manager Mathias by computer (with video), and says something that sounds like:

It sounded like German to me. My vocab is limited to chess, but I'd say it was something about being "late again."

Comment

Working...
            X