X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Daily CFC Chess Postings - CFC News Forum

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    Hi Peter:

I fully expect that when the new website is up and running, then we will have a daily news post there from CFC.

But in the meantime, in fact, what I will now do, is make the daily news posts on the CFC " News " Forum, starting right now ( as Fred has indicated, there will be no changes to the existing CFC Website - but the News Discussion Board is currently duplicated on the existing CFC website in the News Heading - so our posts will get to the existing site without any format changes being necessary )! I had been using the News Forum sparingly, only for things that were getting national coverage ( my press releases; articles on chess in mainstream media, significant CFC events, etc. ). But if the members feel we should use the board for more, I'm quite willing to do that.

But the problem with the CFC website, is that it requires movement by the watcher. They have to get up and go somewhere. The advantage of the social networking system, is that our CFC posts go right into their living rooms - they get them without lifting a finger. We communicate more effectively.

So even with a new website, I will be recommending that we still post daily as well on facebook and twitter. And we should do both, because there are some different members in the two different social networking systems.

So........go to the CFC News Forum now to see today's daily CFC post ( the posts are not just news, but CFC facts, events, history, opinion, etc. - whatever there is about CFC or Canadian chess that might prove interesting to members and the public ).

Bob, CFC Public Relations Coordinator
    Websites can be pushers too - all that is needed is for the website news to be (also) formatted as an RSS feed. For all I know (and that is nothing) the new website "News" page likely would support an RSS feed - perhaps Fred can comment on that. That way, any news posted on the CFC website can automatically reach out to those who chose to "subscribe" to the RSS feed (and I believe that could automatically go out to Twitter and/or Facebook too with a minor bit of tweaking at most). Again, I don't have any direct knowledge of the new website organization/design etc. but I believe these things are simple and possible and likely automatically included in any modern website design, no?
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

RSS feed

Hi Kerry:

Fred will have to speak to the RSS feed issue and the new website.

But as you describe it, it would be great to have people subscribing to " The CFC Regular Post ", on the new CFC Website ( which I've just now started on the CFC News Forum, and which is being duplicated on the existing CFC Website in the " news " section ). This would accomplish what the social networking systems now have in place.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
        Websites can be pushers too - all that is needed is for the website news to be (also) formatted as an RSS feed. For all I know (and that is nothing) the new website "News" page likely would support an RSS feed - perhaps Fred can comment on that. That way, any news posted on the CFC website can automatically reach out to those who chose to "subscribe" to the RSS feed (and I believe that could automatically go out to Twitter and/or Facebook too with a minor bit of tweaking at most). Again, I don't have any direct knowledge of the new website organization/design etc. but I believe these things are simple and possible and likely automatically included in any modern website design, no?
        I think you overestimate how many people use RSS feeds in comparison to facebook. Ideally, the RSS feed is exported to FB + Twitter, but in my experience, it usually ends up being the other way around (just look at what's happened to Mig's page for example - it used to be long blog posts, now it's one a month, but regular twitter updates) - twitter posts are made, and then displayed in the RSS feed.

Comment

RSS Feed

Kerry and David:

Fred McKim is currently inquiring of Resolution about this RSS feed, and where it fits into the new website. It is beyond me, but you both might e-mail Fred about how you see it fitting in and whether it is useful, and whether it will work as intended. If you don't have Fred's e-mail, e-mail me ( bobarm@sympatico.ca ) and I'll forward it to you.

Bob

Comment

Re: CFC Facebook Group Page - Access to Non-FB'ers?

Hi Roger:

I had assumed that to view a facebook page, you had to be a member. And that CFC was just looking to network with fb members with this initiative.

If that's not the case, then we'll certainly find out how to open it to non-members. I'll look into it. If anyone knows abouit this issue, could they drop me a line ( bobarm@sympatico.ca ). Thanks.

Bob
            Just change the privacy settings to open everything to everyone.

One drawback of joining the group is that my email is getting filled up with one sentence posts that are relatively free of content which makes it harder to find more important emails. I may have to organize my emails to be a bit more efficient and start using an email client again rather than relying on webmail in order to shuffle things off to their own folders.

Vlad

Comment

Hi Roger:

I had assumed that to view a facebook page, you had to be a member. And that CFC was just looking to network with fb members with this initiative.

If that's not the case, then we'll certainly find out how to open it to non-members. I'll look into it. If anyone knows abouit this issue, could they drop me a line ( bobarm@sympatico.ca ). Thanks.

Bob
              Not true. As a counter example see the GPO page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Grand-...n/229624662196 which is open to the public at large.

Comment

Hi Vlad:

Thanks. I've dealt a bit with changing privacy settings. I'll look into it ( and get help if I need it to accomplish it ). It will definitely be better if both fb members and non-members can visit the CFC fb Group Page.

Bob, CFC PRC

Comment

Hi Roger:

Thx. We'll get it changed. I'll get help if I need to, to make sure it gets done.

Bob

Comment

Privacy Setting : Open

I have checked the CFC fb Group Page, and on the sidebar it states:

Privacy Type:
                    Open: All content

So, if I understand that correctly, all should be able to access the page, both fb members and non-members.

Here is the group page URL: http://www.facebook.com/?tid=1903687...id=10564098798

Let me know if anyone has trouble using it.

Bob, CFC PRC

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                      I think you overestimate how many people use RSS feeds in comparison to facebook. Ideally, the RSS feed is exported to FB + Twitter, but in my experience, it usually ends up being the other way around
                      Torontochess.org (Drupal based) has a feature to share links on other social networks. (It works, just tested :) Maybe it is possible to tweak it to show more than a link.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                        One drawback of joining the group is that my email is getting filled up with one sentence posts
                        You may change notifications' settings:
                        http://www.facebook.com/editaccount.php?notifications

(I agree that becomes annoying :)

Comment

Working...
                        X