X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess included in 2011 Budget Proposal

http://www.knotia.ca/Budget2011/Attachments/ChildE.pdf

Re: Chess included in 2011 Budget Proposal

not enough to get me to vote Conservative - but enough to get me to lobby the rest to pick up on it !

Bob

Comment

That's interesting, maybe even historic. From 1948 to 1984 (at least) the CFC was trying to become eligible to receive government funding, but there was never a category, never a word which they would allow to be applied to chess. Never "sport", never "art". Chess did qualify as an educational activity (based on a British court case where a person left his money to chess; it was challenged by relatives and the decision depended upon whether Chess was educational); CFC obtained Charitable Status under that dispensation, but in December 2010 that was annulled by Revenue Canada. As we all recall, elephants ^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H education and recreation are both Provincial jurisdiction.

Now, chess is admitted to be a "artistic, cultural, recreational or developmental activity", choose one, or maybe more than one. Maybe it does not mean much. If chess is a "recreation", then it has already been one, according to Sports Canada and to the Canada Council.

But the practical implications of a tax deduction for youth chess activities / lessons could be huge. The deduction maxes out at $75 per child per year. The CMA / AEM is best placed to exploit this, but there's room for all who do the diligence and make the effort.

Comment

The question is: how does this get publicized enough for the CFC to take full advantage? What delivery mechanisms can we use to ensure that parents are aware of this and will take advantage of it to (most preferably) buy full CFC memberships for their kids?

In my opinion, the real problem for the CFC isn't the expense of a membership (especially related to juniors) - it's making parents aware of the CFC when most schools do not have clubs that introduce kids to the CFC. This is where CMA has been so successful - they go out and directly sell their services to the schools, which then trickles down to the kids/parents.

If nothing else, this would be an excellent opportunity to try to reactivate old customers (juniors who are still juniors but have lapsed).

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
          not enough to get me to vote Conservative -
          What is enough, if it's a case of degrees. :)

Recent political events will probably result in my staying home election day.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen
            The question is: how does this get publicized enough for the CFC to take full advantage? What delivery mechanisms can we use to ensure that parents are aware of this and will take advantage of it to (most preferably) buy full CFC memberships for their kids?
            No need in the short term since the Government is going to fall either on the budget vote or earlier on a vote of non-confidence on the current scandals.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
              No need in the short term since the Government is going to fall either on the budget vote or earlier on a vote of non-confidence on the current scandals.
              Yes but what do you think the endgame on this will look like? :)

Comment

Further to Budget proposal: Kids with disabilities the age limit is increased to 18 from 16 and the tax credit is higher. Programmes must be at least 8 weeks,or 5 consecutive days.Spend $500 and get a credit of $75. Tutoring lessons are covered.But,if the Budget is defeated-likely-this is finished. John Henry,Senior Instructor,Chess & Math ,Toronto.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko
                  Yes but what do you think the endgame on this will look like?
                  Minority Parliament.

Comment

Minority Parliament.
                    Who even cares who wins? Nothing much changes except the date.

Our economy is easy. We send the Americans all our oil and they send us all their money. When they run out of money they print more. Good deal, Lucille...
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Zeljko Kitich View Post
                      Yes but what do you think the endgame on this will look like? :)
                      Minority Conservative government. Followed by another attempt at forming a coalition by the opposition parties. At that point my crystal ball gets foggy.
                      Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
                      Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

The Cons will probably get the most seats. All the opposition needs to do is defeat the throne speech in order to put in place a non-Harper government.

Comment

The Cons will probably get the most seats. All the opposition needs to do is defeat the throne speech in order to put in place a non-Harper government.
                          Yes, but it will require getting into bed with the separatists. Canadians reacted very strongly and negatively the last time this was tried when Dion was at the helm of the Liberal Party. I don't think that Iggy will do any better.

I think the spectre of a coalition may give the Conservatives a small majority.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                            Yes, but it will require getting into bed with the separatists. Canadians reacted very strongly and negatively the last time this was tried when Dion was at the helm of the Liberal Party. I don't think that Iggy will do any better.
                            I thought it was more a case of when it looked like Dion might lead a government the Liberals moved to oust him before he had a chance to become entrenched. If Iggy has more of a grip on his party is another matter. He'll likely get one election before the Liberals move on.

The Conservatives don't appear to have seen a war they don't like involving us in fighting.

The NDP has little chance. I guess labour supports them. Here's one where labour won big. The company has facilities in other countries as well.

Click Here....

The bloc will always have their voters.

Chess will still be run from Ontario.

So what part is inspiring.

I remember the Prime Ministers right back to St. Laurent. Nothing much changes once they get in power.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Gary, don't you mean you remember PMs right back to Sir John A. Macdonald?

I think that Jonathon is right; this is probably the first time in Canadian history that chess is mentioned in a budget; isn't that great!

Comment

Working...
                              X