Spraggett Jumps the Gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spraggett Jumps the Gun

Cooperative Chess Coalition ( CCC ) is strongly supported by Canadian GM Kevin Spraggett, 4 times Canadian Champion ( last in 1996 )……….NOT.

We don’t know what his problem is – he slammed us in his log on March 15, with no knowledge at all of our program.- astute.??

We're not saying he doesn't have his right to slam us if he wants ( gently hopefully), but surely he should know our program FIRST ! We invite Kevin to write us for our CCC program ( Position Paper # 1 - CCC Program Overview ) at cooperativechesscoalition@gmail.com. This paper is now available publicly.

Maybe after reading it, he'll join our group !!

Bob, CCC Coordinator

CCC Twitter : http://www.twitter.com/coopchesscoalit
    CCC Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sfr...806343128&ap=1

Re: Spraggett Jumps the Gun

On the positive side, his newest post should make you completely forget the old one.

Comment

Spraggett Jumps the Gun

Who could have guessed that it was only half-cocked?
      Last edited by John Upper; Thursday, 24th March, 2011, 11:29 PM.

Comment

I guess for some people, retired = unemployed. Don't think that is the usual useage.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
          I guess for some people, retired = unemployed. Don't think that is the usual useage.

Bob
          And for some people, living in Portugal = Canadian.
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

What I find to be odd is not so much what Spraggett says, but people hurrying out and posting about it any time he attacks them, as if they are taking some peculiar egotistical satisfaction in being attacked by the grandmaster, rather than ignoring him completely, which in my opinion would be proper.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
              Cooperative Chess Coalition ( CCC ) is strongly supported by Canadian GM Kevin Spraggett, 4 times Canadian Champion ( last in 1996 )……….NOT.

We don’t know what his problem is – he slammed us in his log on March 15, with no knowledge at all of our program.- astute.??

We're not saying he doesn't have his right to slam us if he wants ( gently hopefully), but surely he should know our program FIRST ! We invite Kevin to write us for our CCC program ( Position Paper # 1 - CCC Program Overview ) at cooperativechesscoalition@gmail.com. This paper is now available publicly.

Maybe after reading it, he'll join our group !!
              To me this time his "slamming" looks pretty gentle. Instead of dismissing everything Spraggett says based on his character, people (and especially those interested in making the CFC work better) should instead look closely into his writings which contain not only much food for thought but also quite astute observations.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                And for some people, living in Portugal = Canadian.
                According to Statistics Canada, nearly 9000 Canadian born Canadians live in Portugal. Something wrong about living overseas in less expensive environments? Do you have a problem with Canadians living in other countries as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony Cheron View Post
                  According to Statistics Canada, nearly 9000 Canadian born Canadians live in Portugal. Something wrong about living overseas in less expensive environments? Do you have a problem with Canadians living in other countries as well?
                  Of course not. I object to KS being included as a "Canadian" chess player when he hasn't played in or for Canada for quite some time.
                  ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                    Of course not. I object to KS being included as a "Canadian" chess player when he hasn't played in or for Canada for quite some time.
                    But surely, he represented Canada at Cappelle not more than a month ago. Anyway, opinions are meaningless. Facts are solid. Spraggett is a Canadian chess player.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony Cheron View Post
                      But surely, he represented Canada at Cappelle not more than a month ago. Anyway, opinions are meaningless. Facts are solid. Spraggett is a Canadian chess player.
                      People can quarrel with Kevin's opinions all they want, but his Canadian identity is unquestionable.

Many years ago, Canada's national soccer team was criticized because very few of its players were good enough to play overseas. As more and more players started careers in Europe, it was seen as a very positive sign of progress.

It would have been unthinkable and downright stupid to attack a player for being with an English or German team. This is what they were supposed to be aiming for after all; the strongest level of competition they could find.

I have always viewed Kevin's move to Portugal as a similar, very gutsy, move. How many have had the courage to follow his example?

He was this country's strongest player for many years and is still a top competitor. He plays under the Canadian flag and is known as a Canadian. Like I say, you can discuss his opinions and politics as much as you like, but questioning his "Canadianess" is just dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Sullivan View Post
                        People can quarrel with Kevin's opinions all they want, but his Canadian identity is unquestionable....
                        Personally, I'm shocked he has remained Canadian under FIDE for all these years. Surely it would have been more profitable and better for his career to have switched countries. Anyway, no one thinks that soldiers stationed overseas are somehow lesser Canadians, so I think the original dig is totally uncalled for.
                        "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Working...
                        X