X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March 27 OCC Toronto Qualifier

March 27, 2011
    Ontario Chess Challenge Toronto Regional Qualifier:

A grade-4 player joined the tournament with 1 free point after other kids played two rounds.

I am not sure if there is such a rule but I believe it is not fair to every other kids. You can't simply step into the ring when your opponent is half exhausted. No you cannot come with free point either.

Re: March 27 OCC Toronto Qualifier

Originally posted by Chess Talker View Post
    March 27, 2011
    Ontario Chess Challenge Toronto Regional Qualifier:

A grade-4 player joined the tournament with 1 free point after other kids played two rounds.

I am not sure if there is such a rule but I believe it is not fair to every other kids. You can't simply step into the ring when your opponent is half exhausted. No you cannot come with free point either.
    There are many obvious questions, including:

- were there arrangements in place to request "byes" (normally they must be requested before the tournament, there are restrictions on how many and for which rounds etc.)

- what is the relevance of the fact the player was in Grade 4 (I am asking because I have no idea what the range of the tournament was)

- what are other tournament details? Number of rounds? Type of pairings? (One can guess Swiss pairings - players with like scores are paired together)
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re : Re: March 27 OCC Toronto Qualifier

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
      There are many obvious questions, including:

- were there arrangements in place to request "byes" (normally they must be requested before the tournament, there are restrictions on how many and for which rounds etc.)

- what is the relevance of the fact the player was in Grade 4 (I am asking because I have no idea what the range of the tournament was)

- what are other tournament details? Number of rounds? Type of pairings? (One can guess Swiss pairings - players with like scores are paired together)
      This was a CMA chess tournament for K-12 kids for the OCC qualifier. 5-round and Swiss pairing. Kids play by grade seperately and only 1-2 kids will be qualified for the provincial final.

As per the flyer, registration should be made from 10:00 through 11:00. Apparently the said player was not registered on time.

Grade 4 is irrelevant. I just wanted to give a clue in case someone wants to check what happened.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: March 27 OCC Toronto Qualifier

This was a CMA chess tournament for K-12 kids for the OCC qualifier. 5-round and Swiss pairing. Kids play by grade seperately and only 1-2 kids will be qualified for the provincial final.

As per the flyer, registration should be made from 10:00 through 11:00. Apparently the said player was not registered on time.

Grade 4 is irrelevant. I just wanted to give a clue in case someone wants to check what happened.
        The first question (about the specifications for byes) is perhaps the most important one...

It is customary to allow a player to request bye(s) before the tournament (although it most likely is unusual in a children's tournament?), but I am guessing that there was no formal arrangement for byes and likely the organizers/tournament-director decided to let this latecomer enter with two 1/2 point byes as of the 3rd round...

Considering the tournament is some sort of qualifier and is only 5 rounds, I would say this is very unusual and perhaps way too accommodating... Of course, I have no information about why the player was late in registering... that might have had some sort of effect on the decision.

The most the late player could have "scored" was 4/5 ...

Did the late player end up getting one of the qualifying spots?

In any case, have you raised this concern with CMA ?

Comment

Last Sunday, i was asked to do a TD job involving G-1. It was made known that it is possbile to quallify more than 1-2 kids if the participants in the group exceeds 10 and if the top finishers have already qualified. If I am not mistaken, about 5 kids qualified.

And one more thing, you do not need to hide your true identity. You have to use your real name, as other posters. This is Canada , where there is freedom of speech.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
            - what are other tournament details?
            The tournament results http://www.chesstalk.com/elo/pub/scr...is.php?no=6917
            Grade 4 section.

The player, who got 2 byes, won vs #1 & #4, drew with #3, and finished @2. Deserved.

Anyway, a 5-round-swiss qualifier is like a knock-out system :D

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
              The tournament results http://www.chesstalk.com/elo/pub/scr...is.php?no=6917
              Grade 4 section.

The player, who got 2 byes, won vs #1 & #4, drew with #3, and finished @2. Deserved.

Anyway, a 5-round-swiss qualifier is like a knock-out system :D
              Yes, but finished tied for 2-3 and the 3rd place player was 3-1-1 not 2-1-2byes, so I wonder what the tiebreak method was? Anyway, 5 round swiss for 13 players is plenty of rounds... There is no indication who qualified from the Gr4 section as far as I can tell? Was it just 2 qualifiers?

Comment

Sorry, I only just saw this!

The player was going to be quite late, requested two half-point byes in advance,
                which were given. He had to attend a kangaroo math contest. His subsequent
                performance justified the request. Mail/call me if you have any other concerns.

Francis Rodrigues, IA
                Regional Director
                Chess'N Math Association
                Toronto
                416-488-5506; 416-466-3395
                toronto@chess-math.org

Comment

Just to clear up intangibles -

I wouldn't ordinarily favour two half-point byes in a small 5-round Swiss, but the
                  exception justifies the rule, etc - the applicant's recent performance, and besides
                  of course not only did he make the request in writing, but he was pre-registered!

Computer tie-break (Swiss Sys 8), obviated manual intervention in the crowded
                  circumstances - but any aggrieved party is welcome to talk to me (tied on points or
                  not), CMA is nothing if not accomodating. The OCC needs the best competitors:-)

Francis

Comment

Originally posted by Francis Rodriguez View Post
                    Just to clear up intangibles -

I wouldn't ordinarily favour two half-point byes in a small 5-round Swiss, but the
                    exception justifies the rule, etc - the applicant's recent performance, and besides
                    of course not only did he make the request in writing, but he was pre-registered!

Computer tie-break (Swiss Sys 8), obviated manual intervention in the crowded
                    circumstances - but any aggrieved party is welcome to talk to me (tied on points or
                    not), CMA is nothing if not accomodating. The OCC needs the best competitors:-)

Francis
                    Thanks for the clarifications Francis...
                    One question remains: How many qualified from the GR 4 section?
                    Last edited by Kerry Liles; Thursday, 31st March, 2011, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X