one of the things I like about ChessTalk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one of the things I like about ChessTalk

When I first joined ChessTalk, one of the reasons was because no one was anonymous behind cryptic userIDs. This principle seems to have changed lately. Excuse my ignorance, but exactly who approves new ChessTalk userIDs, and don't we have to be "someone"?! ;)

Re: one of the things I like about ChessTalk

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    When I first joined ChessTalk, one of the reasons was because no one was anonymous behind cryptic userIDs. This principle seems to have changed lately. Excuse my ignorance, but exactly who approves new ChessTalk userIDs, and don't we have to be "someone"?! ;)
    I'm Lucas.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
      The policy has not changed.

Chris Mallon approves new people to the board.

Maybe he can explain.

Comment

I was going to question this as well, after I saw some postings from "Chess Talker". There are others (posting under "normal" names), also, whose identity I would question.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
          I was going to question this as well, after I saw some postings from "Chess Talker". There are others (posting under "normal" names), also, whose identity I would question.
          ...bumping

I am not sure how Chris (or anyone) can really verify a request is legitimate.

It would be rather easy to set up a gmail or yahoo email address that *looks* legit and then register with someone else's name. Depending on the name you pick, it might be a while before the real person finds out and complains... anyway, that seems like a lot of work for comparatively nothing.

I agree with Aris though - pseudonyms were supposed to be verbotten.
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Verification can be done by asking for a home phone number, and/or a home address - or a reference from another person known to the moderator.

Comment

Working...
            X