Strongest Chess Club in Canada?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strongest Chess Club in Canada?

When FIDE does its country rankings, I believe it takes the average of the top 10 active players in the country. So suppose we use that measure to determine the strongest club in Canada? Your designated players must currently be full-time members of the club. We will use CFC ratings.

Here is the Scarborough CC list ( as far as I know, without formally checking with our Treasurer; if I'm wrong on this, someone from SCC correct the list ):

1. WIM Yuanling Yuan ( 2357 ) - past club champion
    2. Master Rune Pedersen ( 2303 )
    3. Master Andrei Moffat ( 2248 ) – past club champion
    3. Master Josh Guo ( 2240 )
    5. Master Michael Song (2228 )
    6. Master John Hall ( 2200 ) – past club champion
    7. Andrew Picana ( 2182 )
    8. Erwin Casareno ( 2165 ) – past club champion
    9. Bryan Lamb ( 2145 ) - past club champion
    10. Ilyas Nasirov ( 2142 )

Master Bill Peng ( 2217 ) was a member, but I think his membership is currently expired.

The average rating of our top 10 is 2221.

How do other clubs line up against this?

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Monday, 18th April, 2011, 01:54 PM.

Re: Strongest Chess Club in Canada?

Bob,

No need to start this thread.
    Last edited by Joshua Guo; Monday, 22nd June, 2015, 08:46 PM. Reason: nn

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
      When FIDE does its country rankings, I believe it takes the average of the top 10 active players in the country. So suppose we use that measure to determine the strongest club in Canada? Your designated players must currently be full-time members of the club. We will use CFC ratings.

Here is the Scarborough CC list ( as far as I know, without formally checking with our Treasurer; if I'm wrong on this, someone from SCC correct the list ):

1. WIM Yuanling Yuan ( 2357 )
      2. Master Rune Pedersen ( 2303 )
      3. Master Andrei Moffat ( 2248 ) – past club champion
      3. Master Josh Guo ( 2240 )
      5. Master Michael Song (2228 )
      6. Master John Hall ( 2200 ) – past club champion
      7. Andrew Picana ( 2182 )
      8. Erwin Casareno ( 2165 ) – past club champion
      9. Bryan Lamb ( 2145 ) - past club champion
      10. Ilyas Nasirov ( 2142 )

Master Bill Peng ( 2217 ) was a member, but I think his membership is currently expired.

The average rating of our top 10 is 2221.

How do other clubs line up against this?

Bob
      Bob,
      Is it possible that SCC, the biggest and the strongest(?) club in Canada, will create one (or maybe more) team to participate in GTCL team competitions?

Comment

SCC & the GTCL League

Hi Vlad:

As I mentioned to you before, SCC did play for a number of years in the GTCL League competition. We played in the U 2000 section, because at the time our club was not as strong, and as well we could not interest the stronger players in forming an Over 2000 team.

But then the wheels came off. Members who had committed to the team kept begging off and we were looking for alternates at the last minute all the time. We had trouble getting a car pool together. Players did not want to drive from Scarborough to Brampton or Mississauga in winter storms. And generally, interest in inter-club play just declined. The coach refused to continue the following year because of all the frustrations.

There is no one at the club at the present time championing a return to inter-club play.

If I am exaggerating the lack of interest, maybe some SCC'er can elaborate.

Of course, the GTCL is certainly welcome to come to the September AGM ( I would think - I am not part of the SCC Executive ) and try to see if they can arose any interest by presenting the benefits of league play.

Bob
        Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Monday, 18th April, 2011, 01:26 PM.

Comment

I, personally, would love to see a list of club strength for every club in Canada. That would be quite a job to do, though!
          Christopher Mallon
          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Re: SCC & the GTCL League

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
            Hi Vlad:

As I mentioned to you before, SCC did play for a number of years in the GTCL League competition. We played in the U 2000 section, because at the time our club was not as strong, and as well we could not interest the stronger players in forming an Over 2000 team.

But then the wheels came off. Members who had committed to the team kept begging off and we were looking for alternates at the last minute all the time. We had trouble getting a car pool together. Players did not want to drive from Scarborough to Brampton or Mississauga in winter storms. And generally, interest in inter-club play just declined. The coach refused to continue the following year because of all the frustrations.

There is no one at the club at the present time championing a return to inter-club play.

If I am exaggerating the lack of interest, maybe some SCC'er can elaborate.

Of course, the GTCL is certainly welcome to come to the September AGM ( I would think - I am not part of the SCC Executive ) and try to see if they can arose any interest by presenting the benefits of league play.

Bob
            Yes, Bob, you've mentioned to me all this before. Still, I wonder why from 100+ members there are no at least 5 who wish to play for the club. I'm not a member of any club but last year we managed to create a team to participate in GTCL Cup. I'm very glad we did, and we'll do the same this year. Team competition lets you to feel "team spirit". And if you're really proud to be a member of the club, this is a perfect place to show it - competing with other clubs over the chess board.

Comment

Working...
            X