Canadian Junior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Junior

This should probably be posted under the already existing thread but my fear of my concerns receiving the same amount of attention as my several emails to the organizers (none) convinced me to ensure this post is not overlooked.

My concerns are still the same ones I brought to attention in a lengthy post nearly a year ago. In the very few emails I have received from the CFC President (emails that were sent only after my reminders) since then promised "the office would investigate...but [the office] have a few urgent matters to attend to." Of course, I was not contacted thereafter and I wonder if there ever was even any sort of inquiry.

The most infuriating recent update is that Mr. Gillanders, who happens to be a co-organizer of the 2011 Canadian Junior, consistently ignored my recent emails with the first of four being sent on April 4. I finally got one message from him but all he could tell me was "I got them, just been very busy this week." I did not receive any follow up to this. I don't know if the intention was to insult me but insulted is a good description of how I feel right now.

I really do want to play in the upcoming 2011 Canadian Junior. In the very first email I sent to Gillanders I had expressed this interest, along with my frustration that it has nearly been a year (or 6 years if you want to count from the tournament in question) from him or anyone about a pretty "urgent matter" as Gillanders would like to call it.

I believe what may have led him to this state of unresponsiveness is my request for free entry to the 2011 Canadian Junior (or it is this combined with his hope he can continue to slide my protests under the rug). I was pretty much fed up with the seriousness shown by the CFC and did not feel comfortable paying to play in yet another Canadian Junior when I'm owed $1500. As the defending 2010 Champion, I did not think this was too much to ask for as it would be temporary compensation and a sign that the CFC did care about treating their champions with some dignity. Furthermore, I would think in any other kind of tournament the organizers would very much welcome the return of the defending champion even if it was at some small cost.

The organizers seem intent on getting the tournament underway without getting back to me and at this point it may be possible that I do not play this year because of this. I just wanted to bring this to the forefront and let the Canadian chess community know why I may be missing from this year's battle.

Shiyam

Re: Canadian Junior

Originally posted by Shiyam Thavandiran View Post
    This should probably be posted under the already existing thread but my fear of my concerns receiving the same amount of attention as my several emails to the organizers (none) convinced me to ensure this post is not overlooked.

My concerns are still the same ones I brought to attention in a lengthy post nearly a year ago. In the very few emails I have received from the CFC President (emails that were sent only after my reminders) since then promised "the office would investigate...but [the office] have a few urgent matters to attend to." Of course, I was not contacted thereafter and I wonder if there ever was even any sort of inquiry.

The most infuriating recent update is that Mr. Gillanders, who happens to be a co-organizer of the 2011 Canadian Junior, consistently ignored my recent emails with the first of four being sent on April 4. I finally got one message from him but all he could tell me was "I got them, just been very busy this week." I did not receive any follow up to this. I don't know if the intention was to insult me but insulted is a good description of how I feel right now.

I really do want to play in the upcoming 2011 Canadian Junior. In the very first email I sent to Gillanders I had expressed this interest, along with my frustration that it has nearly been a year (or 6 years if you want to count from the tournament in question) from him or anyone about a pretty "urgent matter" as Gillanders would like to call it.

I believe what may have led him to this state of unresponsiveness is my request for free entry to the 2011 Canadian Junior (or it is this combined with his hope he can continue to slide my protests under the rug). I was pretty much fed up with the seriousness shown by the CFC and did not feel comfortable paying to play in yet another Canadian Junior when I'm owed $1500. As the defending 2010 Champion, I did not think this was too much to ask for as it would be temporary compensation and a sign that the CFC did care about treating their champions with some dignity. Furthermore, I would think in any other kind of tournament the organizers would very much welcome the return of the defending champion even if it was at some small cost.

The organizers seem intent on getting the tournament underway without getting back to me and at this point it may be possible that I do not play this year because of this. I just wanted to bring this to the forefront and let the Canadian chess community know why I may be missing from this year's battle.

Shiyam
    For the benefit of many readers who may be unfamiliar, could you summarize the events that led to the CFC owing you $1500?
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I believe this thread refers to the matter:

http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/showthread.php?t=3602

Comment

Shiyam

Shiyam:
        No need to be overly-polite when asking for things that's rightfully yours, just be clear. Which $1500 hasn't CFC re-imburse you for? Was it for winning the Canadian Jr. in 2005? or was it for your travel expense to World Jr. in Poland last summer? Or both?

CFC Execs:
        What is going on here?

Comment

As the defending 2010 Champion
          A sad truth: you are only the winner, not a champion (formally)

As a governor, I want to craft a motion with your idea ("the CFC did care about treating their champions with some dignity.") similar to the Canadian Closed championship:
          Amendment to 1058
          The Canadian Junior Champion shall receive free entry but must advise the CFC Business Office and organizers of his intention to play no later than 20 days.
          (I think he is used for both genders he and she in the handbook.)

This must go with an additional (amending) motion to define the Canadian Junior Champion. Thus, 1051 shall have:
          The winner of the Tournament will be that year’s Canadian Junior Champion.

At lets hope somebody will second motions, and they will be voted positively during the AGM, and only the next year they will be enforced.

Comment

Shiyam
            This story doesn't sound good.

Hope to read here soon CFC Executive's explanations.

At the same time I propose to raise right here for Shiyam $1500 plus entry fee for 2011 Canadian Junior.

I am contributing $200. Shiyam, if nobody else will support this idea, you can consider that your entry fee will be paid by this money on Thursday at site.

Victor Itkine.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Itkine View Post
              This story doesn't sound good.

Hope to read here soon CFC Executive's explanations.

At the same time I propose to raise right here for Shiyam $1500 plus entry fee for 2011 Canadian Junior.

I am contributing $200. Shiyam, if nobody else will support this idea, you can consider that your entry fee will be paid by this money on Thursday at site.

Victor Itkine.
              I'll contribute $100. Shiyam, send me your email thru facebook and I'll email- transfer the money to you.

Comment

Yes, this issue has dragged on far too long.
                No, it is not a simple matter.
                True, I have neglected to respond to his recent email. Sorry.
                No, I don't recall any mention of you wanting to play in this years tournament.

If you are entitled to free entry, we will certainly honour that.

I don't have time to investigate this further right now. I am heading out the door in a few minutes. I will review your emails this evening and respond, but I am out all day, so it will be like midnight.

I did investigate the whole mess last summer. I got conflicting and incomplete information. It is difficult going back several years, when CFC executive etc change every year. I am sympathetic to your cause, but whether you are owed money from years ago is unclear.

Nevertheless, we would love to see you at the Canadian Junior. No disrespect was ever intended.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                  Nevertheless, we would love to see you at the Canadian Junior. No disrespect was ever intended.
                  Always the empty words that cost nothing and are worth even less that happens to be the CFC's mother tongue. Stop telling people that you value them and respect them when your actions or lack of actions tell otherwise. You looked into the matter, found it unclear and then conveniently gave up on your "investigation". No disrespect intended.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your support, especially to Victor and Josh for starting what I call, the unofficial "2005 Canadian Junior Fund" which has the sole purpose of raising enough money to equal the value of $1500 which will subsequently be used for an international tournament of my choice (as has been the tradition for all the winners after me that did not attend the World Junior). I was also reminded by the link Mr. Coleman posted that Larry Bevand had contributed $250 to my coaching expenses in preparation for the 2010 World Junior. However, since that was in response to my post about the 2005 Canadian Junior, I will also add Larry's contribution to the mix. The Fund now stands at $550.

I in no way expected the Canadian chess community to react with such positive action and it means a lot to know I have their support. Thank you for starting something the CFC has failed to do for 6 years!

I will play in the 2011 Canadian Junior, "under protest", with the hope that starting sooner rather than later, the CFC will set something up to add to the Fund so that I can finally put this issue to rest. I should also add that aside from the financial aspect, I had not received any tangible award such as a trophy or plaque to commemorate not only the fact that I was the youngest ever winner of the Canadian Junior, but also for winning the tournament itself. In essence, I have received nothing except rating points for one of my most memorable achievements. I do want the CFC to correct this as well.

Once again, thanks for everyone's understanding and support in this difficult matter!

Comment

Hi Shiyam,

I am pleased you have decided to play. I have reviewed the handbook rules. I do not find any requirement for free entry for the defending champion, but the organizers will grant you free entry. :)

I have waded thru my emails and found two from you on April 1st and 5th, to which I failed to respond. You did ask about free entry to 2011 tournament, but I missed that as my focus was on your comments surrounding 2005. Please accept my apology. :o

The difficulty does revolve around the issue of awarding the prize money when the player does not attend the intended event. There is no consensus on this issue. I do understand there are special circumstances in this case, and I see that the CFC have not always been consistent in it's rulings. In short, this file is a mess, and regrettably keeps ending up in the "lets deal with that tomorrow file". Yes, I realize this is not acceptable. :o

I have been discussing the issue with Fred today. I am hopeful the executive can come to a satisfactory resolution quickly.

Good luck at the tournament. If you want to chat about this in person between rounds, I will make myself available.

Comment

Where is exactly this tournament (rooms) I may have time to drop in and see some of the event.

Comment

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply and your understanding and it is good to know that you are working with other executives so we can arrive at a resolution. I do accept your apology and your offer of free entry. I will see you on Thursday and I look forward to discussing this matter in person with you.

Shiyam

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                            Good luck at the tournament. If you want to chat about this in person between rounds, I will make myself available.
                            I am sure that this kind of chat between rounds could do wonders for Shiyam's result.

Comment

I just wanted to let everyone know that the issue regarding the 2005 Canadian Junior has been resolved with the help of Bob Gillanders and Fred McKim. Thank you for your hard work and putting an end to it once and for all!

Shiyam

Comment

Working...
                              X