Estimate your ratio of particularly interesting tournament games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Estimate your ratio of particularly interesting tournament games

This may not be one of my better ideas for a poll, but I thought I'd give it a try anyway. Respondents are asked to estimate the ratio of their own tournament games that they've played so far which they've found to be particularly interesting, for whatever reason. Examples of what could make a tournament game interesting for someone could be: an exciting attacking game, a largely unblemished game in terms of errors, upsetting a much higher rated opponent, a game with an opening novelty, etc.

Examples of what might make for clearly uninteresting games could be particularly one-sided games, games decided entirely by gross error(s), dull draws, etc.

In my case I've gone through databases of my own games, at one time or another, but other respondents might get a fair estimate of the ratio I'm asking for if they looked at the scoresheets of a few previous events that they've played in.
    Every tournament game I've played is particularly interesting to me
    27.27%
    Approximately one game in two
    18.18%
    Approximately one game in three
    36.36%
    Approximately one game in four
    9.09%
    Approximately one game in five
    0.00%
    Approximately one game in six
    0.00%
    Approximately one game in seven
    9.09%
    Approximately one game in eight
    0.00%
    Approximately one game in nine
    0.00%
    Approximately one game in ten or less
    0.00%
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Re: Estimate your ratio of particularly interesting tournament games

Oddly enough, so far I've found a much greater ratio of my non-otb tournament internet games to be particularly interesting in terms of quality, compared to the ratio of particularly interesting otb tournament games. However the number of internet games I've played so far is much smaller.

I responded to my poll by selecting the approximate ratio of 1 in 7 of my tournament games so far being particularly interesting. Maybe I'm too fussy, or maybe my chess is not often up to snuff, in almost anyone's eyes. :(

What my internet games have offered to me in terms of particularly interesting/quality games (did I mention that these games were all man+machine+books :)), otb tournaments make up for in terms of atmosphere. There's the social aspect, the tension of the tournament hall (e.g. a minor or major dispute could break out at any time - is someone going to freak out? :)), and at the tournament site I usually play at, there's the food and drink that's almost immediately available after the game.
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Working...
    X