X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prelim report on Grand Pacific Open:

A preliminary report on the 5th annual Grand Pacific Open is available at:
    http://grandpacificopen.pbworks.com/...O-Results-2011

Still to come are photos, games, and some side event reports.

You might also enjoy a blog by one of the participants Polly Wright from New York: http://castlingqueenside.blogspot.com/

See you next year!

Re: Prelim report on Grand Pacific Open:

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post

You might also enjoy a blog by one of the participants Polly Wright from New York: http://castlingqueenside.blogspot.com/

See you next year!
    Totally enjoyed the blog post by Polly on your event!

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post

See you next year!
      The tournament was already FIDE rated (faster then CFC).

Comment

i lost the 2nd most cfc points but gained the 8th most fide points. chess ratings are strange
        everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

games now posted although not all of the header information is quite correct. (should eventually be corrected)

Comment

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
            Interesting, I played 2 of the Fide rated players and the calculator on the site gives me a PR of 1928. My goal going in was to see if I could still after 10 years out of serious play, still perform above 2000 CFC. According to the results list I must have performed better than my 10 year old CFC rating since the list shows my new CFC rating as up 9 points to 2059. Not an official CFC calculation of course.

I took two half point byes so as to have the stamina to play fairly well, even so that 10:00 start on Monday was tough after playing Sunday night. With a little more rest I might have been able to give Williams a better game rather than making that rather crass blunder at move 14, though I imagine the end result would have been the same.

Comment

Haha, I didn't do so great in this tournament! :P

Comment

I have been cleaning up the gamescores, and there are several that Monroi trashed. Roger - if you can find and check the scoresheets of the following (or somehow try to reconstruct a legal gamescore):

Trochtchanovitch-Maisuradze (round 3)
                Williams-Han (round 5)
                Maisuradze-Gansvind (round 4)

It looks like a couple of others have been cleaned up already. (in one - the correct (and legal) move was 0-0; Monroi had the illegal 0-0-0).

Comment

Originally posted by Andrei Botez View Post
                  CFC appears to have rated it now. I went from 2050 to 2056 rather than 2059 as the site software calculated. What matters to me is that I am still able to play at around my old rating level in my advanced age and general decrepitude.

Now I want the person who gave me the cold sometime during the weekend to confess.

And I have competition for the Seedhouse rating title, as someone named Jeffrey Seedhouse is playing in Ontario.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                    I have been cleaning up the gamescores, and there are several that Monroi trashed. Roger - if you can find and check the scoresheets of the following (or somehow try to reconstruct a legal gamescore):

Trochtchanovitch-Maisuradze (round 3)
                    Williams-Han (round 5)
                    Maisuradze-Gansvind (round 4)

It looks like a couple of others have been cleaned up already. (in one - the correct (and legal) move was 0-0; Monroi had the illegal 0-0-0).
                    Unfortunately, I do not have any legible scoresheets for those games. I did notice that the monroi version of Maisuradze-Gansvind was no good so did not include it but otherwise did not check the monroi scores (used scoresheet if both were available). Pity really about the missing Maisuradze games, particularly against Gansvind.

Comment

I know that the Monroi devices are usually quite dependable - but I'm wondering why as many as 6 out of the 20 or so games (which used Monroi) from this tournament could have been trashed. (another example is Han-Wright (round 4) in which the PGN file shows only White moves (no Black moves) past move 18). Was a Monroi rep on site (or reachable)?

Comment

I know that the Monroi devices are usually quite dependable - but I'm wondering why as many as 6 out of the 20 or so games (which used Monroi) from this tournament could have been trashed. (another example is Han-Wright (round 4) in which the PGN file shows only White moves (no Black moves) past move 18). Was a Monroi rep on site (or reachable)?
                        There were some other issues - the hotel Internet crashed at one point and was not completely reliable plus users with the monroi devices did not always complete their games.

Comment

57 games (with cleaned-up headers with rounds and ratings added) in PGN format can be found at:

http://canbase.fqechecs.qc.ca/cbv/20102019/2011_gpo.pgn

Comment

57 games (with cleaned-up headers with rounds and ratings added) in PGN format can be found at:

Our cleaned up version is also now online (63 games) at the GPO site. (courtesy of Stephen Wright)

Comment

Your database has the "trashed" game Han-Wright (round 4).
                              The game Hare-Rahemtulla is suspect. 1-0 on move 12 seems premature.

One game missing from your database:

[Event "Grand Pacific op"]
                              [Site "Victoria CAN"]
                              [Date "2011.04.23"]
                              [Round "3"]
                              [White "Witt, Steven"]
                              [Black "Botez, Alexandra"]
                              [Result "1-0"]
                              [ECO "D07"]
                              [WhiteElo "1713"]
                              [BlackElo "1994"]
                              [PlyCount "55"]
                              [EventDate "2011.04.24"]
                              [EventType "swiss"]
                              [EventRounds "6"]
                              [EventCountry "CAN"]

1. Nf3 Nc6 2. d4 d5 3. e3 e6 4. c4 Nf6 5. Nc3 Bb4 6. a3 Bxc3+ 7. bxc3 Ne4 8.
                              Bb2 Bd7 9. cxd5 exd5 10. Qb3 Ne7 11. Bd3 f6 12. Rb1 Bc6 13. O-O a6 14. Qc2 f5
                              15. c4 b6 16. cxd5 Bxd5 17. Rbc1 c6 18. Ne5 b5 19. a4 g6 20. Ba3 Rc8 21. Bxe7
                              Qxe7 22. axb5 Qg5 23. g3 Qh5 24. bxc6 Ng5 25. c7 Qh3 26. f4 Rxc7 27. Qe2 Qh6
                              28. fxg5 1-0

Now 62 games (with cleaned-up headers with rounds and ratings added) in PGN format can be found at:

Comment

Working...
                              X