Slyusarchuk's story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slyusarchuk's story

Since the french version of chesstalk seems to be agonizing, I'd like to ask our Canadian friends what they think of Slyusarchuk?

For some people, it seems obvious that he's cheating and that the whole story is just an excuse to get publicity/attention/money for his projects but to accuse someone of something like collusion, one needs to be in possession of some serious proofs. So far, nothing seems all that clear. At least, not to me.

We heard from the man himself that his recent progression was due to his excellent memory. This I don't doubt by the way. His memory seems phenomenal. But having an eidetic memory alone certainly can't explain his excellent play at the chessboard. There are almost an infinite number of moves that can be made in a game of chess. It seems impossible to remember precisely thousand of games played.

By reading 2000-3000 chess books, someone might increase their knowledge of the game but the analysis in many of these books doesn't seem to be rigorous or objective enough to keep up with Rybka 4. Just curious to hear your thoughts about this.

The links for more on Slyusarchuk's story are available at: www.chessbase.com

Re: Slyusarchuk's story

I didn't notice there was already a post on this. Sorry

Comment

Originally posted by jean-michel rivest View Post
      to accuse someone of something like collusion, one needs to be in possession of some serious proofs.
      The same but opposite: one needs to present undisputed prove of his memory phenomenon.

Chessbase gave a translation of a Timoshenko's account with Sly.
      "We stood before this board for several minutes. That was quite enough to remember the position, and I decided to conduct another experiment. I removed all the pieces off the board, and said I could restore the position and invited Mr. Slyusarchuk to do the same. He did not even bother trying."
      http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=7190

Comment

You may have a point there.

Some people have extraordinary memories. I think it's called Eidetic memory or something like that. There are world championships of memory. I guess if he truly wanted to prove his skills, he would enter those competitions and prove his abilities there.

The same thing goes for chess. It's really difficult to cheat at a FIDE rated event. If he really wanted to show that he's the best, he could enter those competitions.

I doubt Mr. Slyusarchuk can't enter any of those events due to lack of funding or time.

Comment

Originally posted by jean-michel rivest View Post
          Since the french version of chesstalk seems to be agonizing, I'd like to ask our Canadian friends what they think of Slyusarchuk?
          Chessbase effectively debunked him as a fraud. Apparently after reading
          3000 chess books, he still doesn't know how the knight moves.

Comment

Working...
          X