Kingston's new MP is a chess player!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kingston's new MP is a chess player!!

Ted Hsu was elected as the new MP for Kingston and the Islands yesterday. He is a very talented fellow, with two degrees in physics, a background in science, financial services, and renewable energy, and has been active politically.

Ted was also a talented chess player during his youth in the Kingston area, the late 1970s! He has not played competitively for many years. :) :)

I'm planning to discuss chess issues with him, with the idea to raise the profile of Canadian chess in a positive way.

Re: Kingston's new MP is a chess player!!

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
    Ted Hsu was elected as the new MP for Kingston and the Islands yesterday. He is a very talented fellow, with two degrees in physics, a background in science, financial services, and renewable energy, and has been active politically.

Ted was also a talented chess player during his youth in the Kingston area, the late 1970s! He has not played competitively for many years. :) :)

I'm planning to discuss chess issues with him, with the idea to raise the profile of Canadian chess in a positive way.
    It is an interesting idea, good for the chess players in Kingston's area!

Comment

There is a "T Hsu" in my database who played in the North Bay International, in 1994.

Comment

Kingston's Ted Hsu, elected on Monday, May 2, is the new Liberal MP for Kingston and the Islands.

According to chess.ca, Ted has a CFC rating of 1905. His CFC number 102608 dates from the 1970s, showing he originally joined in late 1972 or early 1973, shortly before I did (my original number was 102873 but was replaced after inactivity, and my first rated event was the 1973 Quebec Carnaval Open in February of that year, for comparison purposes). His name appears occasionally as a prizewinner of Kingston events in local reports to be found in Chess Canada magazines in the late 1970s.

So Ted is likely the strongest chessplayer elected as an MP in Canadian history! :) :)

Comment

CFC Bulletin #22, May-Jun 1977, page 6
          reports on the "Chess Weekend in Kingston", held in
          October 1976 and organized by the late Kalev Pugi.
          Amongst other chessy wonders and delights:

"The first chess event was held Thursday evening. Three
          local players, Dr. R. Kewley, Michael Bauer, and
          12-year-old Teddy Hsu played simultaneously against 40
          players. The local TV station carried this tournament
          as a news item, and the Whig-Standard ran a large
          front-page picture of Teddy Hsu...."

I can think of a stronger player (Leo Williams) who has run for
          political office, but not been elected. I can think of a
          chess player who has ascended to a more responsible political
          office (Bernard Lord, former Premier of New Brunswick), but
          he was not so highly rated as Ted Hsu.