WCC Candidates playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WCC Candidates playoffs

I am having a little trouble finding a website with up-to-date results, but if I understand www.russiachess.org, Kramnik defeated Radjabov by drawing an Armageddon blitz playoff with black, and Grishuk has defeated Aronian.

Semis are Kamsky-Gelfand and Grishuk-Kramnik

Re: WCC Candidates playoffs

Radjabov-Kramnik was decided before they got to an Armegeddon game. They were in the series of five two-game blitz matches after drawing four active games. Controversy in the second of the blitz matches - they get to move 60 or so, the clock malfunctions, causing a five-minute delay in the game. Kramnik wins the resumption and the conspiracy theorists go wild. (That game has since disappeared from ChessBomb - no indication of it being annulled though.) Kramnik won the first game of the next blitz match and was drawing the second, thus qualifies.

Comment

What a ridiculous way to compete for a World Championship.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
        What a ridiculous way to compete for a World Championship.
        I seem to remember a roulette wheel being involved at one time :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post
          Radjabov-Kramnik was decided before they got to an Armegeddon game. They were in the series of five two-game blitz matches after drawing four active games. Controversy in the second of the blitz matches - they get to move 60 or so, the clock malfunctions, causing a five-minute delay in the game. Kramnik wins the resumption and the conspiracy theorists go wild. (That game has since disappeared from ChessBomb - no indication of it being annulled though.) Kramnik won the first game of the next blitz match and was drawing the second, thus qualifies.
          I think I read two significantly different reports of what happened in that game where the clock malfunctioned... both from the same site !!

Comment

Completely agree! It does not help bring prestige to the game. What about golfers hitting in less then 1 sec. preparation? Maybe the times are not such, but a Bobby Fischer type of player is needed.
            Aronian was completely out of form and struggled terrible, even when he "pressed for a win". Gelfand is the man so far.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
              I am having a little trouble finding a website with up-to-date results, but if I understand www.russiachess.org, Kramnik defeated Radjabov by drawing an Armageddon blitz playoff with black, and Grishuk has defeated Aronian.

Semis are Kamsky-Gelfand and Grishuk-Kramnik
              The main site is the FIDE tournament site, but it was a bit confusing during the rapid play-offs. I put up some results and links to .pgn files and live games and analysis at the ACC Site: "Playoff Fever in Kazan". I'm trying to keep it up-to-date.
              Marcus Wilker
              Annex Chess Club
              Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post
                The FIDE tournament site posted the .pgn file for the rd 1 tie-break. It looks like the score was 2.5-1.5 in the blitz match.
                Marcus Wilker
                Annex Chess Club
                Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Working...
                X