X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mark Bluvshtein and Co. in Havana

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
    Ttied for first
    Will a winner go to the Elite group the next year?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
      Going into the 9th and final round, Mark is tied for first with Cordova of Peru, half a point ahead of Alvarez.
      Anyone know the result?
      Marcus Wilker
      Annex Chess Club
      Toronto, Ontario

Comment

I believe these are the latest results

5 GM Cordova Emilio 2561 ½ - ½ IM Ortiz Suarez Isan 2569 10
        6 GM Alvarez Pedraza Aramis 2538 ½ - ½ GM Almeida Quintana Omar 2555 4
        7 GM Bluvshtein Mark 2589 ½ - ½ GM Corrales Jimenez Fidel 2586 3
        8 GM Vocaturo Daniele 2540 1 - 0 FM Espinosa Veloz Ermes 2467 2
        9 GM Leon Hoyos Manuel 2563 0 - 1 GM Quesada Perez Yuniesky 2626 1

Comment

Mark Bluvshtein tied for first with Emilio Cordova of Peru. Congrats!

Comment

I got back from Havana along with Halldor Palsson yesterday. In our section I finished with 4.5/9, while unofficially I believe Halldor ended up with 3/9, Bill Doubleday got 3.5/9, and Prosanto Sarkar (an old friend who also acted as a generous sponsor for me) exited Havana a week earlier than planned, finishing with 1/3 (the single point being a forced bye), as he wanted to attend to business matters.

I started the event well with 3/4, but acquired some sort of cold (I think) mid-way through the tournament. Probably going in and out of air conditioned buildings and being a bit worn out before taking the trip didn't help. The tropical heat made things more bareable, with having a cough being the dominant problem. Now that I'm back home and taking cold medication, my nose is starting to run on and off like a faucet. Luckily there was only one rainy day the whole trip, with Cuba experiencing some sort of drought and Havana having premature summer temeratures for May.

Besides the two travel days, my trip had nine tournament days (largely spent playing, spectating and dining), and there were sightseeing days. Some of the Ottawa players including myself checked out parts of old Havana, including the Capablanca chess club. Another day there was a visit to Havana's large and rather beautiful Necropolis, where Capablanca's tomb is located, as well as the famous tomb of Amelia Goyri de la Hoz, a pilgrimage site for future mothers who seek her blessing (Amelia has yet to be recognized as a saint).
            Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
            Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Working...
            X