A decent article on Chess and Education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A decent article on Chess and Education

I was called and interviewed for this article for an Ottawa Valley paper ...

I think she did a good job writing it ...

Have a look: http://barrysbaythisweek.com/Article...aspx?e=3117304

(BTW: don't forget that the OYCC is coming up ... just over 2 weeks now ... www.oycc.ca )
    ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
    Patrick McDonald

:D********;)

Re: A decent article on Chess and Education

Originally posted by Patrick McDonald View Post
    I was called and interviewed for this article for an Ottawa Valley paper ...

I think she did a good job writing it ...

Have a look: http://barrysbaythisweek.com/Article...aspx?e=3117304

(BTW: don't forget that the OYCC is coming up ... just over 2 weeks now ... www.oycc.ca )
    Yes very nice article. However I have to strongly disagree with one idea that is repeated twice. Just playing chess do not bring that much benefit to kids. Without constant guidance, if not formal tutoring, most kids tend to go around in circles making the same mistakes over and over again and tend to acquire bad habits that make further progress more difficult. Young kids have not acquired sufficient autonomy or discipline to learn by themselves by reading a book or searching the internet. They need teachers. That is why they go to school.
    I have seen kids with scholastic tournament wins under their belt not even knowing how capturing en passant worked, or having doubts on how to castle on the Q-side ! The learning process must be fostered and monitored at all times in order for kids to fully benefit from what chess has to offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
      Yes very nice article. However I have to strongly disagree with one idea that is repeated twice. Just playing chess do not bring that much benefit to kids. Without constant guidance, if not formal tutoring, most kids tend to go around in circles making the same mistakes over and over again and tend to acquire bad habits that make further progress more difficult. Young kids have not acquired sufficient autonomy or discipline to learn by themselves by reading a book or searching the internet. They need teachers. That is why they go to school.
      I have seen kids with scholastic tournament wins under their belt not even knowing how capturing en passant worked, or having doubts on how to castle on the Q-side ! The learning process must be fostered and monitored at all times in order for kids to fully benefit from what chess has to offer.
      Agreed for the most part. How often do we see mate on f7, tell the kids to play ...e6, and then see them once again mated on f7? There are exceptions however. In Ottawa we have a young player named Ryan Yang who started coming to camps as an unknown. He was clearly about 1400 strength, excellent tactically, and he knew his openings like a master. He said he loves to read chess books, and that he did it on his own. Amazing! So I took his dad aside, told him his son was very talented and that it was time to play in adult tournaments and get some lessons. Immediately, both happened. He is playing in the weekend Swiss's that Aris Marghetis runs, and he is taking lessons with Deen Hergott. Watch out for this kid if he sticks with it!!

Comment

A good point about En Passant.
        A couple of times a younger player had thought I had played an illegal move.
        They knew about En Passant, but hadn't really seen it, so it wasn't in their mindset.
        Also, I played Ryan Yang in one of his first tournaments and he had me in a crippling position. I was fortunate he played into a Repetition Stalemate as he wasn't aware yet of that aspect of the game.
        Also, I recently talked to a very high-ranked younger player who was unsure of the ruling behind Repetition Stalemate.
        These youngsters are great players and I fear when they learn all the nuances of chess, they'll be nearly unbeatable!

Comment

Working...
        X