Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada's next IM is...

...Arthur Calugar! :) :D

His last-round win gives him the necessary 6/9 for the Title.

Arthur knew he was winning and you might enjoy watching him try to control his excitement. You can find a video of the last minute of his last game here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-JFl1zdLHk
    Last edited by John Upper; Wednesday, 11th May, 2011, 11:15 PM.

Re: Canada's next IM is...

Congratulations to the winner!
    :)

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
      ...Arthur Calugar! :) :D

His last-round win gives him the necessary 6/9 for the Title.

Arthur knew he was winning and you might enjoy watching him try to control his excitement. You can find a video of the last minute of his last game here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-JFl1zdLHk
      Question: From I know the IM norms needs certain number of players from foreign federals. Or it is only required for first IM norms?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Song View Post
        Question: From I know the IM norms needs certain number of players from foreign federals. Or it is only required for first IM norms?

Thanks
        There are special rules for Zonal tournaments - he will receive the IM title, not just a norm (at least to the best of my knowledge).
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Someone with a FIDE rating of 2210 being granted the IM title makes a little bit of a mockery of the way titles are granted and what merit they have. Of course, no blame can be placed on Calugar. It is the fault of FIDE in making these kinds of things possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirk Gornall View Post
            Someone with a FIDE rating of 2210 being granted the IM title makes a little bit of a mockery of the way titles are granted and what merit they have. Of course, no blame can be placed on Calugar. It is the fault of FIDE in making these kinds of things possible.
            I remember chesstalk having pretty much the same discussion after approximately 50% of the Canadian Zonals!

Comment

Also anyone else with an IM performance level receives a 13-game IM norm. Another special rule for Zonals.
              Christopher Mallon
              FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Congrats Arthur!
                Christopher Mallon
                FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Nice result Arthur!

Comment

Re: Canada's next IM is... Arthur Calugar -- 6 our of 9 - Zonal Title Requirement met

Zonals and Sub-Zonals (See Note b to e.)

1st, up to 3 players = title.
                    ≥ 9 games ≥ 66 2/3% = title
                    ≥ 9 games IM Performance counts as 13 games.

Remarks:
                    (a) For example: Women’s World Championship: Finalist = 9 game GM norm. This means that the result counts as if it was a norm and had met all the necessary requirements.
                    (b) Wherea zonal/subzonal is played with preliminaries and finals, the results shall be pooled.
                    (c) Subzonals must be approved by the Presidential Board.
                    (d) For zonals/subzonals only one IM/WIM title can be obtained based on a result ≥66 2/3 percent, only two FM/WFM titles can be obtained based on a result ≥50 percent.
                    (e) The result must be achieved in consecutive games starting from the first game the player plays in the tournament. If a player achieves ≥ 6 points (3½ points for CM/WCM), the title is awarded, even if the player does not play 9 games (7 games for CM/WCM)
                    (f) 1st = means shared first place.

Requirements for the titles

http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.ht...8&view=article

Sorry Kirk -- but Arthur Calugar is to be congratulated for his impressive performance! He has met the requirements to become and receive the title of International Master. I would like to congratulate Arthur for his fine accomplishment!

Comment

Yes. Congratulations, Arthur !!

Comment

Someone with a FIDE rating of 2210 being granted the IM title makes a little bit of a mockery of the way titles are granted...
                        Partly. I think it also shows that FIDE ratings are woefully innacurate for people who play mainly non-FIDE rated events.

Comment

Working...
                        X