Ontario HS Championship begins tomorrow in Kingston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ontario HS Championship begins tomorrow in Kingston

The 44th annual Ontario High School Championship begins tomorrow in Kingston, and runs through Sunday.

Playing site is: Grant Hall, Queen's University (the building with the tall clock tower), address 43 University Avenue.

It will be held in three sections: Open, U1500, and Beginner, and the players will play either five or six rounds, according to section.

I am a member of the organizational team. Our TDs plan to post results and updates on this site as often as possible.

Larry Bevand, Executive Director of the Chess 'N Math Association, will be on site for Saturday and Sunday to sell chess merchandise. Thanks, Larry!!

The top-seeded player and tournament favourite is Karoly Szalay of Ottawa, rated about 2400.

One nice piece of news to start: Kingston's newly-elected Member of Parliament, Ted Hsu, will be on hand to open the event, at 1 p.m. tomorrow. Ted, a friend of mine, is a strong player himself, with a current CFC rating of 1905 (albeit inactive for some time), and was a youth champion in Kingston in the 1970s. He called me this afternoon from the House of Commons in Ottawa to confirm he would be on hand!! Thanks, Ted! :) :)

Re: Ontario HS Championship begins tomorrow in Kingston

That's cool, an MP is going to show up.
    I'm busy packing away and preparing to play tomorrow, hope it's going to be a great tournament!

Comment

Working...
    X