Hansen at the CCC last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hansen at the CCC last night

Last night at the Calgary Chess Club was one of the best nights I've had at the club in all the time I've been there. Thursday is our usual night for speed and we had over a dozen players out. Jim Daniluk picked Eric up from the airport and brought him to the club for supper, to be followed by a lecture.

Alex Yam won the speed tournament, undefeated. Eric was present for the start of round 3, but chose to eat and yak instead. Jim Daniluk teamed with myself finished 2nd with 7/10. I played the first 2 rounds, Jim played the rest.

After the tournament and food, Eric went over 2 games from the Closed. His first game was his first round game against Miladin Djerkovic. The game impressed me because it seemed that Eric got away with stuff during the game. The fight was a tactical mela. Only after Eric explained himself very well in the lecture could I see much more in the positions. What impressed me the most was that Eric prepared for his games not so much by memorizing, but more from logical choices and knowlege of his opponent. He was very good at predicting what his opponents would do in many positions. He can also calculate at about 100 mph.

It was good to have Dale Haessel there as well. Dale played in the speed tournament, ate and also contibuted at the lecture.

The second game was Hansen-Panjwani. I had watched this game from start to finish. Eric detailed his logical play, more positional then the previous game. Raja defended well for a while and was resourceful, but Hansen had a total bind on the position, forcing Raja to unbalance things. Raja was completely outplayed in the game.

So, for $5, people got a tournament, lecture by the Co-Canadian Closed Champion and pizza. Where can you get a deal like that!

Thanks to Eric and Dale for a great night!

Re: Hansen at the CCC last night

Originally posted by Tony Ficzere View Post
    Last night at the Calgary Chess Club was one of the best nights I've had at the club in all the time I've been there. Thursday is our usual night for speed and we had over a dozen players out. Jim Daniluk picked Eric up from the airport and brought him to the club for supper, to be followed by a lecture.

Alex Yam won the speed tournament, undefeated. Eric was present for the start of round 3, but chose to eat and yak instead. Jim Daniluk teamed with myself finished 2nd with 7/10. I played the first 2 rounds, Jim played the rest.

After the tournament and food, Eric went over 2 games from the Closed. His first game was his first round game against Miladin Djerkovic. The game impressed me because it seemed that Eric got away with stuff during the game. The fight was a tactical mela. Only after Eric explained himself very well in the lecture could I see much more in the positions. What impressed me the most was that Eric prepared for his games not so much by memorizing, but more from logical choices and knowlege of his opponent. He was very good at predicting what his opponents would do in many positions. He can also calculate at about 100 mph.

It was good to have Dale Haessel there as well. Dale played in the speed tournament, ate and also contibuted at the lecture.

The second game was Hansen-Panjwani. I had watched this game from start to finish. Eric detailed his logical play, more positional then the previous game. Raja defended well for a while and was resourceful, but Hansen had a total bind on the position, forcing Raja to unbalance things. Raja was completely outplayed in the game.

So, for $5, people got a tournament, lecture by the Co-Canadian Closed Champion and pizza. Where can you get a deal like that!

Thanks to Eric and Dale for a great night!
    Yea it was a pretty awesome evening, even though, I combined with myself only scored 4/10 in that blitz tournament:(

Comment

Working...
    X