23rd Annual Canadian Chess Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 23rd Annual Canadian Chess Challenge

The National Final of the Canadian Chess Challenge is set to begin on Sunday, May 22, 2011 in Victoria, B.C.

This tournament is a Canadian Classic with over 20,000 youngsters from across Canada having competed in school level events throughout the 2010-2011 year for the opportunity to represent their province this weekend. Each province is represented by 12 players - 1 in each grade from grade 1 to grade 12.

At Chess'n Math we are very fortunate to have Chris Dawson of Newfoundland! Again this year he has put together a website where results of the games from the 2011 National finals will appear almost within a few seconds of a game result. The tournament is happening on May 22-23, 2011 in Victoria B.C....with a 9 a.m. start Victoria time which means noon for the folks in Quebec and Ontario..and 1:30pm in Newfoundland. Chris says in an e-mail I received today: "scores should will be up on the web site within 5 seconds of them being entered and I think people should find the system pretty snappy. One thing I should point out is that I am having a little trouble with the auto-refresh feature when using Internet Explorer. Basically, the Current Round page should automatically refresh every 5 seconds or so but this is not working in Internet Explorer. It works fine if you are using another web browser such as Google Chrome or Firefox. In Internet Explorer (IE) it may be necessary to right click on the scores pane and select refresh manually or close off the browser and re-open it. (F5 may work in IE but it depends). I am still looking for a solution to this."

Check out this awesome site at the link below:
    http://www.chess.nl.ca/ccc/national/...lish/index.xml

Brian Raymer, our key individual in Victoria and an awesome fellow, has also put together a site with lots of info:

http://victoriajuniorchess.pbworks.c...hess-Challenge

Re: 23rd Annual Canadian Chess Challenge

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    The National Final of the Canadian Chess Challenge is set to begin on Sunday, May 22, 2011 in Victoria, B.C.

This tournament is a Canadian Classic with over 20,000 youngsters from across Canada having competed in school level events throughout the 2010-2011 year for the opportunity to represent their province this weekend. Each province is represented by 12 players - 1 in each grade from grade 1 to grade 12.

At Chess'n Math we are very fortunate to have Chris Dawson of Newfoundland! Again this year he has put together a website where results of the games from the 2011 National finals will appear almost within a few seconds of a game result. The tournament is happening on May 22-23, 2011 in Victoria B.C....with a 9 a.m. start Victoria time which means noon for the folks in Quebec and Ontario..and 1:30pm in Newfoundland. Chris says in an e-mail I received today: "scores should will be up on the web site within 5 seconds of them being entered and I think people should find the system pretty snappy. One thing I should point out is that I am having a little trouble with the auto-refresh feature when using Internet Explorer. Basically, the Current Round page should automatically refresh every 5 seconds or so but this is not working in Internet Explorer. It works fine if you are using another web browser such as Google Chrome or Firefox. In Internet Explorer (IE) it may be necessary to right click on the scores pane and select refresh manually or close off the browser and re-open it. (F5 may work in IE but it depends). I am still looking for a solution to this."

Brian Raymer, our key individual in Victoria and an awesome fellow, has also put together a site with lots of info:

First round sees Quebec facing off against B.C....should be exciting!

Comment

Re: 23rd Annual Canadian Chess Challenge - HELP -- where are the RESULTS from CCC ???

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post

The event looks awesome Larry!

By the way... the website that you listed is not functioning.

National Final Results

National Results Web Site
      http://www.chess.nl.ca/ccc/national/.../2011/English/

Website not found? Any other suggestions? :(

Comment

Re: 23rd Annual Canadian Chess Challenge - HELP -- where are the RESULTS from CCC ???

I can't get the website to work either...

Comment

I'm having no trouble with it - using Firefox.

Just tried it with IE 8 (maybe 7 - but definitely not 9), and it also works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
            I'm having no trouble with it - using Firefox.

Just tried it with IE 8 (maybe 7 - but definitely not 9), and it also works fine.
            Thanks for the reply Hugh.

We have tried both IE on a couple of machines - but to no avail

"We did not find results for: www.chess.nl.ca. Try the suggestions below or type a new query above "

However when we tried FIREFOX -- it is now working -- thanks!

Team Standings
            Round Totals
            1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
            Alberta AB 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 4
            British Columbia BC 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 4
            Ontario ON 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 4
            New Brunswick NB 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 2
            Quebec QC 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 2
            Newfoundland and Labrador NL 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2
            Nova Scotia NS 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
            Saskatchewan SK 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
            Prince Edward Island PE 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
            Manitoba MB 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Hansen View Post
              I can't get the website to work either...
              It was third try lucky for me. Firefox zip, Opera zip, Google Chrome success.

If a match is in progress, it shows as 0-0 until somebody scores 6.5 points. Anyway, I see Ontario, BC and Alberta with clean match scores thus far. They all meet on Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                It was third try lucky for me. Firefox zip, Opera zip, Google Chrome success.

If a match is in progress, it shows as 0-0 until somebody scores 6.5 points. Anyway, I see Ontario, BC and Alberta with clean match scores thus far. They all meet on Monday.
                Everything was working fine on our end so I am not sure why some folks are having problems.

Quebec is having their worse performance in the 23 year history of the event. They lost to B.C. In the first round followed by a loss to Alberta (first time ever) in round 2. That was followed by a win against Manitoba by the slimist of margins. They will have to fight hard and have some luck in order to finish in the top 3.

Comment

Awsome website! It's working perfectly for me with IE9.

Good job guys. It's nice to see the results as they come in.

Comment

Go...go...go...Ontario....oooo!
                    Just QC left!

Ben, Frank, Kevin, Dinny, Eric, Michael S,
                    Mark, Chris, Joey, Dan, Michael K, Lloyd -
                    Way to go guys - you've not let me down!

Go Ontario!!!

Francis
                    Regional Director
                    Toronto, Ontario

Comment

Congratulations, Ontario!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdCrZfTkG1c

Well done BC, AB, QC, and all you competitors who
                      fought so well, to make this the magnificent event it is!

See you in 2012:-)

Francis
                      CMA Regional Director
                      Toronto, Ontario

Comment

I notice that the 3rd place finisher in Grade 1, from Saskatchewan, is Alexander Sasata. Is he related to SK Master Robert Sasata?
                        "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                          I notice that the 3rd place finisher in Grade 1, from Saskatchewan, is Alexander Sasata. Is he related to SK Master Robert Sasata?
                          Yes, his son.

Comment

Originally posted by Francis Rodriguez View Post
                            Congratulations, Ontario!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdCrZfTkG1c

Well done BC, AB, QC, and all you competitors who
                            fought so well, to make this the magnificent event it is!

See you in 2012:-)

Francis
                            CMA Regional Director
                            Toronto, Ontario
                            ----------------------------------------------

Congratulations Team Ontario! What an excellent event this year's (23rd Annual) Canadian Chess Challenge was!

I just returned and posted a small photo album from this year. Check it out....
                            Share this album with anyone by sending them this public link:http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...6&l=1e7704df9a

Comment

More pictures can be found at:http://www.chess.nl.ca/ccc/national/...res/index.html

Comment

Working...
                              X