HS Day three and wrap-up from Kingston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HS Day three and wrap-up from Kingston

We had Kingston City Councillor Rob Hutchison, a strong player and dedicated organizer, speak at the prize ceremony. He described his lifelong interest, urged students to find their own chess styles, and urged them to stay involved.

Feedback and comments showed the event as a big success. Thanks to everyone. I'll be posting detailed thanks on this board a little later.

NM Karolyi Salotay played superb chess all weekend, and won all five games to claim first in the Championship group. We modified the rules to allow schools with two players to contend for team awards, and Lisgar of Ottawa, with only Salotay and NM Jerry Xiong, who scored 4.5, won the Championship Group team prize, with 9.5, half a point ahead of UTS of Toronto, which could count its best three of six players. Amazing. UTS won the Combined Team trophy, which allows a school's best result from each of the three sections. A complete list of all champions and prizewinners will be posted on the website of the Ontario HS Chess Association as soon as possible.

A jacket with a key ring was left behind at the end. Chris Field has them in Toronto, so contact him at chris.field@bell.net.

Our champion has shared two of his fine games with me, and given permission for them to appear on chess5.com, so watch for that.

A couple of minor disputes were resolved amicably, and the event was free from cheating and serious arguments, a huge improvement, apparently, from the recent past. More staff is the main reason, I believe. :) :)

Re: HS Day three and wrap-up from Kingston

I would like to thank Frank for his help running the tournament. On about 7 days noticed, he gave both his time and experience to make sure the tournament was a success. As he stated, he arranged for the local chess playing MP to attend and had local media present. The event went off in no small part to his last minute help.

Comment

Re: Thank you!

I found the Ontario High School Chess Championships to be a great success. Chris Field did great job on organizing this tournament. Frank Dixon was an amazing TD and enforced the roles to create a proper tournament environment.

I found the entire tournament great and I wish I could come back next year:(

Thank you Chris and Frank,
      Karoly Szalay

Comment

Working...
      X