Reports about CO 2010 & 2011 + some big plans by B.Fiedler and D.Cohen
    CYCC
    GTCL awards>> Brian Fiedler and Vladimir Birarov
    GTCL new constitution
    Ex.reports and elections (acclaims ;)
    Budget
    Future plans

Re: 2011 GTCL AGM minutes

Interesting... I would respectfully disagree with the idea of not posting pairings at the Canadian Open the day before. Most tournaments do post the next day's pairings somewhere. It would be wrong for the Canadian Open not to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
      Interesting... I would respectfully disagree with the idea of not posting pairings at the Canadian Open the day before. Most tournaments do post the next day's pairings somewhere. It would be wrong for the Canadian Open not to do so.
      I agree with you but there are people around who don't. They feel that preparing for an opponent is somehow unfair or perhaps not within the spirit of a competition 'of the moment'. One view is that it is unfair to a player who does not have the time / inclination / capability to prepare.

Comment

Hi Vlad & Roger:

I agree with the two of you that the pairings should be posted the night before.

Advance posting of pairings is common-place now in all major tournaments, and those who will not prepare, should not trump those who want to. And for those who personally " cannot " make use of the pairings, they should usually be able to find assistance to prepare if they wish to. Again, pleading " I don't know how to use the computer " should not trump what is now common-place.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
          I agree with you but there are people around who don't. They feel that preparing for an opponent is somehow unfair or perhaps not within the spirit of a competition 'of the moment'. One view is that it is unfair to a player who does not have the time / inclination / capability to prepare.
          In general, this provision would be to my advantage since there are a lot of my games available online for someone to use to prepare. I still don't like the idea of hobbling the people who are willing to make an effort because it is nice to be able to see whether someone is a d4 or e4 player if you are black and what defenses you can expect if you are white. In an event without accelerated pairings it is fairly easy to predict who you are going to play anyway so this will only mean a little more difficulty for those of us who can figure out the correct pairings.

In a couple of the games in the Canadian Closed I got too cute and would probably have been better off not knowing what to expect. Despite this, preparation for an opponent is part of what makes the Canadian Open with a one game per day schedule somewhat special and unique among the two and three game per day competition in most other Canadian chess tournaments.

You can't make chess more popular by catering to those who are just uninterested in making an effort and by making it less attractive to those who are willing to make an effort. Playing in a Canadian Open for an out of town player is an expensive proposition. Last year I am had to hoard vacation days to make it. I am not sure that I would have been willing/able to play this year if they hadn't split it up into sections with an under 2000 cutoff (though I probably would have). I know that people play up but the reality is that there will be less of a yo yo effect under the present format.

Anyway it looks like there may be some exciting times ahead for Toronto chess.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
            Hi Vlad & Roger:

I agree with the two of you that the pairings should be posted the night before.

Advance posting of pairings is common-place now in all major tournaments, and those who will not prepare, should not trump those who want to. And for those who personally " cannot " make use of the pairings, they should usually be able to find assistance to prepare if they wish to. Again, pleading " I don't know how to use the computer " should not trump what is now common-place.

Bob
            How many players are left who can't use a computer anyway? My experience is that it is not very many. Despite being pretty computer savvy I am one of the biggest dinosaurs locally among the top players because I don't use Fritz or Rybka very much [Edit: actually at all] in my preparation or analysis of games. I have also fallen a bit behind in my chess database maintenance in the last year and a half of playing quite heavily. Google has made up for the slack as it seems much easier to find opponent's games lately even absent an up to date databases of games.
            Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Wednesday, 18th May, 2011, 02:31 PM.

Comment

If you are going to post pairings before the round then they better be correct. Last year's Cdn Open had an error and it was pointed out and yet because they pairings were posted the committee did not want to correct their mistake.
              That was the #1 fiasco at last year's CDN OPEN.
              I disagree with early pairings. There are people who work during the week of the event and they are at a disadvantage to those who took the week off.
              I do not like early postings of pairings.
              Is Chess not to be a game of wits over the board not preparation to see who had more time to book up on their opponent?

Comment

Working...
              X