Couple questions about Canadian Closed-2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple questions about Canadian Closed-2007

I just came through the table of that tournament and noticed that four players scored 6.5 points. My first question is: who was declared as the winner?
    I also noticed that Christian Stevens scored 6 points, but he is not an IM. Why didn't he get the title, as usually the case in that tournament?

Re: Couple questions about Canadian Closed-2007

There was a four-way knockout playoff - with pairs of games using faster time controls.

Samsonkin beat Livshits 1.5-0.5.
    Noritsyn-Hebert: there were five pairs of (recorded) games - all which were split. Noritsyn finally won - I'm not sure whether it might have been via an unrecorded Armageddon game.

Noritsyn then beat Samsonkin in the final 1.5-0.5.

I believe that Noritsyn earned the only IM title allowed to be earned at this event.
    Last edited by Hugh Brodie; Wednesday, 18th May, 2011, 11:36 AM.

Comment

In a zonal, only one player can get the IM title by scoring at least two third of the points and at most two players can get the FM title by scoring at least 50%.

Previously, the number of IM and FM titles was unlimited, but in a Zonal in Mexico, a blatant abuse has been committed by inviting a lot of unrated players to the Zonal. Consequently, it became possible to get a score of 50% by playing only unrated players. This Zonal has resulted in the creation of unrated FM. Off course, FIDE has reacted by closing this gap in the rules before everybody on Earth become an unrated FM.
      Last edited by Pierre Denommee; Thursday, 19th May, 2011, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Looking at FIDE website, looks like Raja got his FM title in the 2007 zonal.

http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=2604493

Should there be another FM title handed out? Because I was the only other non-FM to score 5 points or more. I know its 4 years after the fact, but I would like to inquire.

And yes, I played 9 games :)

Edit: 2007 Zonal standings here - http://www.chess.ca/xtable.asp?TNum=200706210
        Last edited by Joshua Guo; Wednesday, 18th May, 2011, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Michael Barron scored 5.5 and was rewarded with the FM title.

Comment

Ahh, thanks. I thought he got his title from before.

Comment

Titles are here

Titles are here:

http://www.canadianchess.info/canadi...essTitles.html

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                There was a four-way knockout playoff - with pairs of games using faster time controls.

Samsonkin beat Livshits 1.5-0.5.
                Noritsyn-Hebert: there were five pairs of (recorded) games - all which were split. Noritsyn finally won - I'm not sure whether it might have been via an unrecorded Armageddon game.

Noritsyn then beat Samsonkin in the final 1.5-0.5.

I believe that Noritsyn earned the only IM title allowed to be earned at this event.
                Yes I remember, that was a LONG night! Exciting, but LONG!

Anyway, a player finishing 1st in a Zonal is automatically an IM. This does not count towards the limit of 1 player earning the title for being at 2/3rds score.

At least that's how the rule is written now. Perhaps it was different almost 4 years ago?
                Christopher Mallon
                FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                  Yes I remember, that was a LONG night! Exciting, but LONG!

Anyway, a player finishing 1st in a Zonal is automatically an IM. This does not count towards the limit of 1 player earning the title for being at 2/3rds score.

At least that's how the rule is written now. Perhaps it was different almost 4 years ago?

You're right. In that case Stevens should have received IM title along with Noritsyn, and Barron and Panjwani gets the FMs.

http://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.ht...8&view=article

Comment

Thank you! Seems like there was a great action in that tournament.

Comment

The 2007 Championship was not a zonal, according to the report in Chess Canada.

Comment

Who wrote the report? We had assurances from FIDE that it was in fact a Zonal.
                        Christopher Mallon
                        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Robert Hamilton

Comment

Who wrote the report? We had assurances from FIDE that it was in fact a Zonal.
                            If you look at the Canadian Closed events and the World Cup events we can see

Canadian Closed
                            2006 Zugic
                            2007 Noritsyn (tie-break)
                            2009 Hebert

World Cup
                            2007 Zugic
                            2009 Hebert

Both the 2006 and 2009 events are called Zonals on the rating page, while the 2007 event was not.

I'm making a pretty big guess, as I wasn't involved or watching at the time, that FIDE mistakenly processed this 2007 Closed as a Zonal.

Comment

R.Hamilton wrote: "With 2007 being an off-zonal year, the Championship did not nominate a Canadian who would advance in the World Ch. cycle. However, changes to FIDE regulations have made it so that, even in an off-zonal year, IM and FM titles can be earned in a Canadian Championship."

Retrieving older FIDE rules: http://web.archive.org/web/200803152...sp?level=B0101
                              I don't see any mentioning of national non-zonal championships and IM titles (only norms). The closest is:

Zonal or sub-zonal - 1st,up to 3
                              9 or more games 2450+ (a) =20 game norm
                              9 or more games >= 66.66% (b)

(b) Such an event must be approved by the Presidential Board. Results are pooled as in (a). Where a zonal is an open Swiss, only the highest scoring or the highest placed on tie-break shall be awarded the title.

Comment

Working...
                              X