Calgary International is under way, new potential sponsor enters the scene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calgary International is under way, new potential sponsor enters the scene

The 4th Calgary International is now under way. You can view the live action by going to: http://www.calgarychess.com/2011CICC/Games.html

The total tournament prize fund is $1750 with the break-down being:
    1st: $1000
    2nd: $500
    3rd: $250

A new sponsor is now in the mix. Micah Hughey from Edmonton will be donating a whopping $1000 if someone scores a perfect 9-0!

So far all 10 participant are in the running!

Re: Calgary International is under way, new potential sponsor enters the scene

Vlad, can you email me please? I have another offer for the prize fund.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
      The 4th Calgary International is now under way. You can view the live action by going to: http://www.calgarychess.com/2011CICC/Games.html

The total tournament prize fund is $1750 with the break-down being:
      1st: $1000
      2nd: $500
      3rd: $250

A new sponsor is now in the mix. Micah Hughey from Edmonton will be donating a whopping $1000 if someone scores a perfect 9-0!

So far all 10 participant are in the running!
      David Ottosen put his money into the mix. Here is what he writes:

"To encourage anger and mockery towards short draws on the part of the players, if the % of decisive games in the tourney is 66.7% or higher, I will contribute $1000 to the prize pool. This means 30 decisive games of 45 games played (if a player withdraws, the missed games count neither as byes nor as decisive).

* I reserve the right to back out if late round games look in any way fixed to accomplish this, though I would be shocked if this happens (ie, if I see Scholar's mate happen in the last round, or two players play the brilliancy prize winner from the last informant in 10 minutes).

David"

If the amount of the decisive games is reached the prize additions will be as follows:

1. Extra $500
      2. Extra $350
      3. Extra $150

If the amount of decisive games is not reached the $1000 prize fund bonus would be added to the 6th Edmonton International, 10 player RR which is scheduled for July 27-August 1st.

Thanks Dave!

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
        David Ottosen put his money into the mix. Here is what he writes:

"To encourage anger and mockery towards short draws on the part of the players, if the % of decisive games in the tourney is 66.7% or higher, I will contribute $1000 to the prize pool. This means 30 decisive games of 45 games played (if a player withdraws, the missed games count neither as byes nor as decisive).

* I reserve the right to back out if late round games look in any way fixed to accomplish this, though I would be shocked if this happens (ie, if I see Scholar's mate happen in the last round, or two players play the brilliancy prize winner from the last informant in 10 minutes).

David"
        It is the evenness of a strong field that produces high percentages of draws.
        In this case there is a large gap between the higher rated players and the lower rated ones which should make for a relatively low percentage of draws, most probably below 33%.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
          It is the evenness of a strong field that produces high percentages of draws.
          In this case there is a large gap between the higher rated players and the lower rated ones which should make for a relatively low percentage of draws, most probably below 33%.
          Rd1

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 e5 6. Ndb5 d6 7. Bg5 a6 8. Na3 b5 9. Nd5 Be7 10. Bxf6 Bxf6 11. c4 b4 12. Nc2 a5 13. Be2 O-O 14. O-O Bg5 15. Qd3 Be6 16. Rad1 Bxd5 17. Qxd5 Qb6 18. Qb5 Qc7 19. Qd5 Qb6 20. Qb5 Qc7 1/2-1/2

It is not the evenness of a strong field that produced this draw.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
            Rd1

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 e5 6. Ndb5 d6 7. Bg5 a6 8. Na3 b5 9. Nd5 Be7 10. Bxf6 Bxf6 11. c4 b4 12. Nc2 a5 13. Be2 O-O 14. O-O Bg5 15. Qd3 Be6 16. Rad1 Bxd5 17. Qxd5 Qb6 18. Qb5 Qc7 19. Qd5 Qb6 20. Qb5 Qc7 1/2-1/2

It is not the evenness of a strong field that produced this draw.
            Ok, I gotta cut them some slack for that one and call it the Banff Gambit. Both of them came to see Banff before the round, it was raining pretty hard as we were there and we didn't get back until it was pretty close to the round time. They seemed pretty exhausted. Luckily enough, no more Banff trips before the tournament ends, so no more slack!

Comment

Working...
            X