Ed Glinert dies suddenly at 63

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ed Glinert dies suddenly at 63

I was deeply saddened to read that Stephen Glinert's father, Ed died on Saturday. He was a great supporter of Stephen at tournaments in the 90's, always had a good sense of humour, and was an accomplished entertainent lawyer at the time. He went on to serve on the Board of Socan, where I presently work. My condolences to Stephen and his family.

Here is his obit from the Toronto Star on May 23.

GLINERT, Edmund Lewis - Passed away Saturday, May 21, 2011 at the age of 63, after a brief sudden illness. Beloved husband to Ethel, proud father of Stephen and Alexis, and loving brother to Ricki. Predeceased by his parents Sydney and Joyce. Brother-in-law of Howard Eisenberg and Marlene Altman, and Naomi Eisenberg. Favourite uncle of Emily. Caring son-in-law of Jacqueline Eisenberg. For over 40 years Ed was a well-respected lawyer and prominent music industry professional whose humour and knowledge will be sorely missed. Special thanks to the incredibly supportive staff at Trillium Health Centre in Mississauga and Catharine Ritter and Shahista Walli from Trillium Gift of Life Network. Funeral service will be held at Benjamin's Park Memorial Chapel, 2401 Steeles Avenue West (3 lights west of Dufferin) on Monday, May 23, 2011 at 2:30 p.m. Interment at Congregation Darchai Noam Section of Pardes Shalom Cemetery. Shiva is being held at 11 Wembley Rd., Toronto M6C 2E8 with daily visits from 11:00 a.m. until Friday, May 27. Donations may be made to The Hospital for Sick Children, 416-813-6166, and The Heart & Stroke Foundation, 1-888-473-4636.

Re: Ed Glinert dies suddenly at 63

Very sad news. I had met Ed several times over the years. He was a very thoughtful guy.

My condolences to his family.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ficzere View Post
      Very sad news. I had met Ed several times over the years. He was a very thoughtful guy.

My condolences to his family.
      I am shocked and saddened. Ed was a big supporter of the Chess'n Math Association when Stephen was playing in our events in the 1990's. My thoughts are with the family.

Larry

Comment

Re: Ed Glinert dies suddenly at 63 - RIP "Ed" - our deepest condolences

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
        I was deeply saddened to read that Stephen Glinert's father, Ed died on Saturday. He was a great supporter of Stephen at tournaments in the 90's, always had a good sense of humour, and was an accomplished entertainent lawyer at the time. He went on to serve on the Board of Socan, where I presently work. My condolences to Stephen and his family.

GLINERT, Edmund Lewis - Passed away Saturday, May 21, 2011 at the age of 63, after a brief sudden illness. Beloved husband to Ethel, proud father of Stephen and Alexis, and loving brother to Ricki. Predeceased by his parents Sydney and Joyce. Brother-in-law of Howard Eisenberg and Marlene Altman, and Naomi Eisenberg. Favourite uncle of Emily. Caring son-in-law of Jacqueline Eisenberg. For over 40 years Ed was a well-respected lawyer and prominent music industry professional whose humour and knowledge will be sorely missed. Special thanks to the incredibly supportive staff at Trillium Health Centre in Mississauga and Catharine Ritter and Shahista Walli from Trillium Gift of Life Network. Funeral service will be held at Benjamin's Park Memorial Chapel, 2401 Steeles Avenue West (3 lights west of Dufferin) on Monday, May 23, 2011 at 2:30 p.m. Interment at Congregation Darchai Noam Section of Pardes Shalom Cemetery. Shiva is being held at 11 Wembley Rd., Toronto M6C 2E8 with daily visits from 11:00 a.m. until Friday, May 27. Donations may be made to The Hospital for Sick Children, 416-813-6166, and The Heart & Stroke Foundation, 1-888-473-4636.
        Our deepest condolences to Stephen and Alexis Glinert on the loss of their father and to Ethel on the loss of her spouse. Ed was a regular spectator and supporter of Stephen at many of our events both at the Dutton Chess Club on Bayview and the Primrose Hotel downtown. We are shocked and saddened at the news of this sudden loss. RIP Ed Glinert!

Comment

Re: Ed Glinert dies suddenly at 63 - RIP "Ed" - our deepest condolences

I am sorry to hear this news. I remember Ed from a while back at tournaments watching in as his son Stephen rapidly improved and started demolishing people over the board...

Comment

Our deepest sympathies go out the the entire family. From an educator's perspective I always admired the support Ed provided for Stephen. He was a great supporter of chess and a true gentleman.

Comment

I met Ed when Stephen and my son Charles were taking lessons with Jeff Coakley back in say 1990 or so .I enjoyed his company over many a coffee.My thoughts are with Stephen and the family.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post

A great write-up in The Globe & Mail this morning!

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                  A great write-up in The Globe & Mail this morning!
                  http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2052981/
                  Enjoy

Comment

Condolences to Ed who left a legacy in his wake. Known as "fast Eddy" by his schoolmates ( Beverly Heights Jr High - quite the interesting school as I remember it ) he was truly honest, intelligent and a hard worker. The recording industry in the '70s and '80s as some might know was like the wild west. Many an artist lost money in the fine print. Ed was one of the few trusted lawyers in the recording industry.
                    I am honoured to have talked with Ed for a few minutes at a restaurant last year where he was quite proud of his family and their accomplishments.
                    Last edited by Anthony Cheron; Saturday, 18th June, 2011, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X