Eastern Ontario Open: $20 discount ending

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eastern Ontario Open: $20 discount ending

Hi chess fans, please note that the May $20 double-early discount is about to end. As some of you already know, I am working tonight, and therefore only expect to make it to the RA Centre by around 9pm, and I will stay for a while. The other way to still take advantage of this $20 discount, is to mail your registration and payment by next Tuesday, May 31st.

After May 31st, the early discount will then be $10.

Hi chess fans, the EOCA (Eastern Ontario Chess Association) is pleased to announce the final event of the EOCA Grand Prix, the Eastern Ontario Open!

We are proud this year to have expanded this tournament to 6 rounds, and extend it over the Canada Day long weekend. On July 1st itself, there will be one round starting mid-morning. After that, there is no better place to be in the whole country that day, than downtown Ottawa, around Parliament Hill!

Even though we are growing to 6 rounds over 4 days, the entry fee structure remains exactly the same as our other Ottawa events, which for the 2010 Eastern Ontario Open, generated a nice prize fund of $3300. For those players who register and pay in April, the triple-early discount is a sweet $30!

N.B. As this tournament occurs after the end of the University school year, travelling players can get great deals to stay in the residences of Carleton University, which is a convenient walking distance from the playing site. It is not right next door, but really is close enough, and includes free breakfasts!
    http://www.eoca.org/details_of_tourn...sJune2011.html
    Another option to consider is our own growing chess bed-and-breakfast system. The standard rate will be $30 per person per night. If you are interested in hosting your bed-and-breakfast, please email me to be included on a confidential list. If a travelling player asks to be billeted, I will BCC you their email address, and some relevant info about them, and you can decide on your own if you would like to extend the offer. There is no obligation to host anyone.

Yours in chess,

Aris Marghetis, FIDE Arbiter
    Organizer/TD, EOCA President
    arismarghetis at rogers dot com
    http://www.eoca.org/htm/tournaments_2010-11.html

Please note that we are looking for up to 4 floater players :
    - floater players help the TD guarantee no “forced byes”
    - floater players are paired and rated like all the players
    - floater players play for free, but under some conditions :
    ----- they play in 0 to 6 rounds, depending on byes by all the players
    ----- they can be phoned/texted in the hour before every single round
    ----- they have a current CFC membership by the time of first pairings
    If you are interested in being a floater player for this event, please apply by email

--------- ongoing registration list ---------

rating name (title last, first)

CFC&FIDE Sections

Masters Section
    2753 GM Sambuev, Bator
    2449 IM O'Donnell, Tom
    2292 Pacey, Kevin
    2204 Pace, Christopher
    2201 Upper, John

U2200 Section
    2157 Sadeghi, Saeid
    2134 Ferreira, Alex
    2119 Doubleday, William
    2117 Zhang, Zhiyuan
    2078 Forget, David
    2036 Desjardins, Michel
    2022 Arseneau, Peter
    1950 Donev, Danail
    1919 Kalra, Agastya
    1900 Laszlo, Robert

CFC-only Sections

U1900 Section
    1897 Hubley, Roger
    1891 Danilov, Alex
    1847 Zhang, Kevin
    1845 Laurin, Marcel
    1794 Ritchie, Gordon
    1771 Tomalty, Alan
    1768 Villeneuve, Luc
    1760 Wan, Kevin
    1754 Dunne, Francesco
    1723 Lidstone, Phil

U1600 Section
    1504 Zhang, David
    1466 Luo, Fangyi
    1357 Carroll, Billy
    1328 Zhang, Jeff
    1305 Luo, Tony
    1107 Hall, Richard

Thursday, June 30th: if established FIDE rating is higher, then that will be used

Re: Eastern Ontario Open: $20 discount ending

Aris, give Lennox Lewis free membership.

Lewis says he's always willing to lend his name to a worthwhile cause.

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/enterta...#ixzz1NZv0xz4v
    A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing

Comment

Hi again, interest has been ramping up the last few days, and I should be posting the next pre-registered list by this Friday, after I check the mailbox again. By the way, a few players have asked if they could mail me a money order or bank draft, rather than a cheque. The answer is SURE, and sorry for not making that clear in the event details.

By the way, please note that registrations will close during the evening of Thursday, June 30th. Many travelling players are taking a bye for that 1st round on Thursday evening, and some even for the 2nd round on Friday morning (Canada Day). So please note that if you are planning to take a bye for the 1st round, that you need to pay by mail, or else have someone pay for you onsite on Thursday evening. Please note that it will not be possible to show up onsite just for the 2nd or 3rd round, for example, and pay then. This is because I need to plan commitments with our floater players, and with the site maintenance staff for room setup, and they will be short-staffed for the holiday.

Thanks and regards, Aris.

Comment

Is anybody going from Toronto to Ottawa? I'm going to need a ride if I'm going to get there and I'm willing to share expenses...

Comment

Canada Day website

www.canadaday.gc.ca

We should be finished Round 2 by early afternoon on July 1st, and looking forward to celebrating Canada Day! The fireworks are at 10pm, and Round 3 is a later start, on Saturday afternoon.

Comment

Working...
          X