Best Chess Clock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Chess Clock?

I need to buy a new clock. It will be used for 5-minute, semi-rapid and regular tournament games.

What model should I get? Preferably, it would be one that the CMA carries.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Re: Best Chess Clock?

Chronos touch FX or Chronos touch GX, small, designed by a Canadian, no moving parts, touch means you need to use your hand, bangining with the piece does not do anything, battery life around 2 years, logical procedure for setting it up.

Comment

Definitely Chronos (any type) - they will last forever. They are (relatively) heavy, and won't slip or fall over. Even if they fall on the floor, they will survive. Look at the Chronos clocks at (Montreal's) Cafe Pi. Most are about five years old, and are used for several hours a day (mostly blitz), almost every day of the year.

Comment

Best clock is the Russian tank; the white metal clock that weighs a ton and has internal gears thicker than quarters...

Comment

or you could review this thread on the same topic. http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/showthread.php?t=3175 Don't know what Tom ultimately decided.

Comment

Thanks to all for the advice. I bought the last Chronos that the Montreal CMA store had in stock. With my aptitude for technology, I should figure out how to use it in a few years. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Sullivan View Post
              Thanks to all for the advice. I bought the last Chronos that the Montreal CMA store had in stock. With my aptitude for technology, I should figure out how to use it in a few years. :)
              Hi Neil,

Thanks for your continued support!

We have stock in our Toronto shop and we have more on the way for the busy summer season.

BTW, as you saw the manual can be a little overwhelming....and someone had to tell me how to turn the thing off...I tried everything...well the inventor was more imaginitive than I :)

Enjoy it!

Larry

Comment

ChessHouse produced a nice YouTube video that shows how to set Chronos clocks. Once you've saved your most common time controls, Chronos clocks are a breeze to use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsSCoD__NLk

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
                  Hi Neil,

Thanks for your continued support!

We have stock in our Toronto shop and we have more on the way for the busy summer season.

BTW, as you saw the manual can be a little overwhelming....and someone had to tell me how to turn the thing off...I tried everything...well the inventor was more imaginitive than I :)

Enjoy it!

Larry
                  It's not at all intuitive, but I guess your average 12-year old has no trouble at all.

Turning it off involves holding the center button and tapping one of the timer buttons 5 times. I could have tried for years and not figured it out on my own.

I also find the clocks really ugly! I think I have a sentimental attachment to my old Koopman in the oaken case. Nevertheless, the reviews are solid so I'm sure it'll work out well once I have digested a bit more of the very intimidating manual.

Comment

Working...
                  X