Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manhattan Open - Great Summer Vacation and Chess Tournament

http://www.chesstour.com/mo11.htm

Megabus Fare: $40-$50 (for one way). Toronto to New York.

To: New York, 7th Ave & 28th St.

FYI,

Re: Manhattan Open - Great Summer Vacation and Chess Tournament

Originally posted by Ferdinand Supsup View Post
    http://www.chesstour.com/mo11.htm

Megabus Fare: $40-$50 (for one way). Toronto to New York.

To: New York, 7th Ave & 28th St.
    FYI,
    Thanks for posting this link. Interesting "special rules" I noticed:
    "Special rules: Players must submit to a search for electronic devices if requested by Director. In round 3 or after, players with scores of 80% or over and their opponents may not use headphones, earphones or cellphones or go to a different floor of the hotel without Director permission."
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

There was an article in the local paper about some complicated scheme to cheat on a national exam (medical school? law school? something like that) using electronics devices, cameras and external accomplices. (something like the exam taker takes a photo of the exam, transmits it to an accomplice who administers the copied exam to some smart people, takes the answers and transmits back).

So, this kind of problem is not unique to chess and is pretty serious for other people as well. We will eventually see solutions to this for these other areas that might be useful for chess.

Comment

Another chess cheating scandal. This time at the German national championship:

http://www.chessvibes.com/reports/pl...-championship/
        "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

What is interesting for me in the tournament flyer is on the issue of ratings to be used. Such as if a player has not played 26 games or more under the USCF, they will consider the FIDE ratings, the National ratings (whihc needs to be disclosed, or suffer penalty).

For CFC rated players, the tournament organizer has decided to take it at par value.

I have read several tournament flyers in the past, that organizers add 100, or so, points to the CFC rating.

For me, this makes the US tournaments more attractive.

Sandbaggers out there, take note.

@Ferddie, on apersonal note, your 3 straight wins in the first 3 rounds of the recent 2011 Chicago Open , was amazing. What follows next, merits analysis. You were very successful, until those 3 guys from Illinois brought you down. Were you dizzy with success? (from Alexander Kotov - Think like a Grandmaster).
          Last edited by Erwin Casareno; Monday, 6th June, 2011, 09:38 AM. Reason: 26, not 28 games

Comment

Originally posted by Erwin Casareno View Post
            What is interesting for me in the tournament flyer is on the issue of ratings to be used. Such as if a player has not played 26 games or more under the USCF, they will consider the FIDE ratings, the National ratings (which needs to be disclosed, or suffer penalty).

For CFC rated players, the tournament organizer has decided to take it at par value.

I have read several tournament flyers in the past, that organizers add 100, or so, points to the CFC rating.
            CFC and USCF Ratings are at par. They will use which rating is higher to determine your section to play.

For me, this makes the US tournaments more attractive.
            Not all except the prestigious World Open and Manhattan Open are just a few of them in the coming months.

Sandbaggers out there, take note.
            You won't be alone if you wish but many of them! The winner in my Under 1900 Section was rated 1702 (6.5/7) and I was 1875.

@Ferddie, on apersonal note, your 3 straight wins in the first 3 rounds of the recent 2011 Chicago Open , was amazing. What follows next, merits analysis. You were very successful, until those 3 guys from Illinois brought you down. Were you dizzy with success? (from Alexander Kotov - Think like a Grandmaster).
            I seemed to agree now that old age is catching up and playing two long games (2 hours/40 moves with 5 delay followed by 1 hour with 5 second) a day will stress you out. I wish, I was like that 7 year old boy who beat me and just play chess without nothing to worry about and with all out support from his parents. As Vishy Anand quoted :For me, chess is not a profession. It is a way of life, a passion. People may feel that I have conquered the peak and will not have to struggle. Financially, perhaps that is true; but as far as chess goes, I’m still learning a lot!

Comment

Working...
            X