Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: One Canadian chessplayer's early thoughts on chess ... and reality

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
    I got two of the mugs; one of my kids sold one at a recent garage sale for $2; I suppose I should kick back 50% to Aris...
    If I may suggest, you could add those proceeds to your next Green Party donation. Ironically, the design on those mugs was a nice medium green colour. What foresight! ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
      US universities offer scholarships for excellent chess players. A.Botez won one :) Thus there are monies for chess. However it should be not compared to national sports
      Our own Canadian GM Pascal Charbonneau won university scholarship at U of Maryland. In addition, he is married to WGM Irina Krush. He quit chess five years ago because he finally realised that there is NO monies in "professional" chess. Period.

It will take some time for 15 year-old Andrea Botez to realise the same.
      A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest Klubis View Post
        Our own Canadian GM Pascal Charbonneau won university scholarship at U of Maryland. In addition, he is married to WGM Irina Krush. He quit chess five years ago because he finally realised that there is NO monies in "professional" chess. Period.

It will take some time for 15 year-old Andrea Botez to realise the same.
        Didn't Alexandra Botez receive the scholarship as a result of chess?
        Seems to me that is a great achievement - unrelated to what she may choose to do in terms of a career after graduation. For her, there currently *is* money (significant money) in chess and I am sure she is smart enough to examine the situation at every step of the way to decide how to proceed.

Making a (good) living as a chess professional in North America is currently almost impossible.
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
          In case you insist on being particularly hard-nosed about this, I'll attempt defend myself further, even though I don't believe it's necessary at all. I'll explain some of my personal circumstances, even though you and others will most likely scoff.

Back in the 1980's (a decade that I spent as a TD in Brampton), I had a number of what I'll call supernatural events happen in my life, some of which I've written about on chesstalk before. Other people may call them the onset of schizophrenia. It would include seeing a series of visions of my future, and certain scenes from, say, CNN, that I recognized well over a decade later after they actually occured.

In 1990, a year after I moved back to Ottawa, all these long buried memories came back more or less sequentially one at a time, and continue to do so. Since that year I have been praying for something to happen, but, in the name of equal time, you might say, I daily face the occasional simulated physical and psychological torments, deceptions and temptations of an unseen spirit whose identity you can probably guess.

The upshot is, I find it difficult, sometimes painful, while I'm playing at least some of my chess games, let alone other moments of my days. Something like at least 5% of my time each day, I would guess. I'm willing to botch an occasional chess game, or perhaps slightly mar by any misunderstandings a stint or two as a Governor, on account of my 'handicap', but I don't know how bad things could get for myself or participants if I were responsible for organizing or directing something as important as a tournament. At any rate, I am currently classed as disabled. However I hope this may change soon, especially since there are predictions I've read of for such momentous things as, perhaps, the second coming, to happen around next year. In any event, I was never informed of how my life or other people's would turn out.
          Silly me. In this recent post, (and others in the past) http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...58&postcount=9 you have mused about the idea of you running for CFC president at some point. I would have thought that some one with those aspirations, even if not very seriously, was capable of organizing an event. My apologies.

Comment

Working...
          X